The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. I just bought a tiger red lotus grown on a small volcanic stone for my 10 gallon LED illuminated planted tank, with a river pebble substrate. I have 10 fish living in the tank, and I fertilize with Seachem twice a week.

I tried planting it on several places in the tank and I don't like the way it looks at all, because the roots are all over the place. I'm thinking about removing it from the stone and planting it directly on the substrate. Would this harm the plant or the other plants (Java fern, betta bulb, Amazon sword, hygrophila pinnatifada) in any way? If anyone has done it, how should I go about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sure you got the right plant name? They are not epiphytes. They must have the bulb and roots in the substrate. No if, ands ,or buts.
That's what they told me in the petstore. 😔

I can send a picture in a few hours to confirm ID.

I will gladly plant it in the substrate, if it indeed is the bulb.

Can you just bury the stone up to the bulb?
I tried, but the stones would slide off the base of the plant. Maybe I need more substrate.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
You sure you got the right plant name? They are not epiphytes. They must have the bulb and roots in the substrate. No if, ands ,or buts.
I'm repeating myself from another posts, but I'm not aware of any aquatic plant that needs to have roots in the substrate to grow. With the tiger lotus the bulb should not be completely buried but it will grow with no substrate.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you kidding me? Vallisneria never grows with no substrate ( not counting runners that eventually make contact) and ..What water lily doesn't need rich soils to do best?
OP never did post a photo of the plant. Maybe it was not as advertised?..;)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Are you kidding me? Vallisneria never grows with no substrate ( not counting runners that eventually make contact) and ..What water lily doesn't need rich soils to do best?
OP never did post a photo of the plant. Maybe it was not as advertised?..;)
The theory that aquatic plants need substrate for nutrient intake "to grow" has long been debunked. Given sufficient water column ferts all plants can grow without substrate even the so-called heavy root-feeders like crypts/swords.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is so wrong..like scientology!..not science. Plant roots hate light and most are going to die with no substrate at all. Epiphytes and floating plants are obvious exceptions.
When it comes to roots- they even need the bacteria in the substrate to do well. Debunked? On Mars maybe?..lol. That is so wild to read that.
I'm not going to erupt in flames over this..its kind of funny. Like vaccines are worse than Covid. Sometimes people believe what they want.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That is so wrong..like scientology!..not science. Plant roots hate light and most are going to die with no substrate at all. Epiphytes and floating plants are obvious exceptions.
When it comes to roots- they even need the bacteria in the substrate to do well. Debunked? On Mars maybe?..lol. That is so wild to read that.
I'm not going to erupt in flames over this..its kind of funny. Like vaccines are worse than Covid. Sometimes people believe what they want.
Are you not aware of hydroponics? It's basically the same thing if you have an inert gravel substrate. It's something to hold the plants in place and they get everything they need from the water column. I grew beans without soil when I was in the 3rd grade. I've had crypts and other assorted plants growing for months floating in an aquarium. They're unruly and grow where they want, but quite healthy. It doesn"t matter if it's in the aquarium or if it's terrestrial, plants can and do prosper without substrate. The main function of substrate is to hold the plants in place and with some substrates, store nutrients.

Your vaccination comment is flawed but it's also dancing on the edge of political commentary. Let's not go there.
" Sometimes people believe what they want " Personal attacks are not necessary if you have facts to back you up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've posted the very same thing about plant growing and hydroponics being very similar. But I wouldn't take it the extreme that most plants don't need roots in the substrate. Crypts do. Sword plants do and just those two plant families are a big percentage of aquarium plants sold.
It's a big horticultural world.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Maybe. So root tabs are useless?
Root tabs aren't useless, but they aren't necessary to grow healthy crypts/swords. The plants aren't really that snobby, they'll take their food where they can get it. Root tabs can sometimes push more growth and/or make up for fert limitations in the column. But if everything is in the water, you don't need them. Grown plenty of swords/crypts in inert sand with no root tabs or other substrate dosing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
LOL...is O-P mistaking the bulb for being a rock? My advice is - best not to detach it..that bulb has vital starches for the plant. When you do detach? It's a long road for Tiger Lotus to get real size on only the roots from the stem.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I've posted the very same thing about plant growing and hydroponics being very similar. But I wouldn't take it the extreme that most plants don't need roots in the substrate. Crypts do. Sword plants do and just those two plant families are a big percentage of aquarium plants sold.
It's a big horticultural world.
I'll take it farther. No plants need roots in the substrate to grow
Vallisneria will definitely grow floating with no substrate. So will swords. Maybe stop and think about things a little before you post. You're quick to throw out insults to people denigrate entire religions and post complete garbage and then argue that it's factual with no basis. I gave you the example of hydroponics. You should be able to reason out from that that substrate isn't required. When people grow rooted aquarium plants in inert gravel, what does that gravel provide for the plant besides and anchor? And don't just read this and post some more garbage. Answer the question about what grave provides. Almost all aquarium plants take in nutrients through all their surfaces and roots don't need to be buried in anything to absorb nutrients.

I also have a 3000 gallon pond where I grow multiple species of plants, some with roots, some with bulbs, some with tubers, none with soil or substrate. I put lava rocks in some of the pots to hold the plants in place.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
LOL...is O-P mistaking the bulb for being a rock? My advice is - best not to detach it..that bulb has vital starches for the plant. When you do detach? It's a long road for Tiger Lotus to get real size on only the roots from the stem.
That's actually a good thought. It was also good advice about posting a pic. (OP are you still with us). I went back and looked at the 1st post and it says "volcanic rock" so it seems a little less likely that he was mistaking a bulb for a rock, but who knows.

·
Registered
400 Posts
`Here's my little blog on my tank. Its pretty much the same..Java ferns are larger and to the back I now have a Pearlweed that could pass for a green rock- I prune it with scissors these days every week or so.
I also have to prune the Syngonium or it would totally cover the top of the 240 gallon. Oh,and the smaller Rainbows are now larger also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.