The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the safe ways to transport a full tank of CO2 in a car? Do you secure it in one place standing upright or can it be laid down on the floor of the trunk?

I am planning to purchase a 10 lbs tank online and then refill locally.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I lay mine down in the back seat, wedged between the seat and the backrest.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lay them down?

I thought you were not supposed to lay the tank on its side?

I stand my tank up behind the passenger seat, then push the seat all the way back so the tank does not tilt. Then I put a jacket or blanket on each side, so it doesn't rock.

·
Anti iwagumi
4,808 Posts
i usually chain mine to my bumper and me and my friend take bets on how long it takes for the nozzle to bust off and send my car into warp speed ;)

no really i seatbelt mine in. i have a box full of old club t shirts and it rests in that (on its side)

·
Registered
559 Posts
The guys at Roberts Oxygen got a bit of a chuckle when they saw me carefully wedging towels and a blanket around my tank, taking great pains to keep it upright, and buckling the seat belt around it. :icon_redf

I was gently informed that I didn't need to be quite so careful as that, and that it's OK for the tank to be on its side during transport.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I throw mine in the back seat and take off like a bat out of he**.

My fill-up place is in a rough neighborhood...
But seriously though, no need for seatbelts, cradles of t-shirts, etc. They're made of frickin metal. It'll be okay.

..pansies....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
As long as it isn't sliding from the cab to the tailgate, you'd be okay. If the back of your truck looks like mine used to, you've got enough junk to keep it from rolling around much.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I throw mine in the back of the truck or the back seat of the car. As long as it isn't tumbling end over end I don't worry too much over it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
LOL, hate to admit it but I can tell you how to not transport it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought my tank was empty. That was the first mistake. The reg was messed up and it wasn't completely empty. Layed it down on the floorboard of the rear seat behind me. Didn't secure it, that was the second mistake. Had to come to a quick stop on the exit ramp of the expressway and it rolled, the valve bumped into the front seat and amazingly opened. It was winter and all windows were up, Co2 was spewing into the car. I tried reaching for the tank to shut off the valve while trying to keep from having a wreck at the same time. That didn't work. As I was feeling very, very dizzy I had one last clear thought, OPEN THE WINDOW DUMMY!!!!

The tank always goes in the trunk now...........SECURED so it doesn't roll!!!!

Those who say watch your fish to determine if you have enough CO2 in your tank................................From personal experience I don't believe the fish appreciate that very much!

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I lay mine down in the back seat, wedged between the seat and the backrest.
That's what I do too, laying flat on the floor, resting against the passengers seat. The danger is that the tank becomes a projectile in case you hit something.

LOL, hate to admit it but I can tell you how to not transport it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought my tank was empty. That was the first mistake. The reg was messed up and it wasn't completely empty. Layed it down on the floorboard of the rear seat behind me. Didn't secure it, that was the second mistake. Had to come to a quick stop on the exit ramp of the expressway and it rolled, the valve bumped into the front seat and amazingly opened. It was winter and all windows were up, Co2 was spewing into the car. I tried reaching for the tank to shut off the valve while trying to keep from having a wreck at the same time. That didn't work. As I was feeling very, very dizzy I had one last clear thought, OPEN THE WINDOW DUMMY!!!!

The tank always goes in the trunk now...........SECURED so it doesn't roll!!!!
Scary story, but true, if the valve has an opportunity to open you better strap that beast in. I bought a tank that came with a black protective collar, even if the tank rolls or bumps it will not open or break the valve.

Those who say watch your fish to determine if you have enough CO2 in your tank................................From personal experience I don't believe the fish appreciate that very much!
I'd agree... poor fish. :fish1:

There are better ways to measure CO2.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Scary story
I laugh about it now......................but at the time, I really thought I was a goner.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts