The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured it was based on tank size and bioload. I have a 75 gal high tech planted tank with 5 dwarf plecos (4" each), 8 rams, 4 dwarf honey gouramis, 1 big goyder river rainbow, and a dozen other assorted smaller fish.

I run an Eheim 2217 and admittedly the intake is in the back behind some plants and probably should be raised a little. I also have a Koralia powerhead that is plenty strong so I face it somewhat against the front glass to avoid uprotting small plants in the foreground. My plants are starting to fill in pretty well and I know the Koralia will work well for flow even if my plants get larger.

I still see some floating particles and other debris in the tank. I am feeding black worms, flakes, carnivore pellets, and algae pellets daily.

I am wondering if I need a second Eheim 2217 on this tank. I read another member's comments that filtration and flow are commonly confused and people end with more filtration (canister filters) than needed when all they really needed was a powerhead for better flow.

Interested in what others are running on their stocked 75 gallon system and why.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't have a 75 but I'll be setting up a 55 austrailian rainbow tank and I'll be running a 2217 and a power head. If I needed more I'd wait for a sale and get another eheim. I just picked up a 2213 for $75 and I've seen the 2217 as low as $105 on a daily deal at marine depot. You have more than enough room for both of the out flows. Right now I have both a 2215 and that 2217 on a 46 bow and it's more than enough flow for the tank. sometimes I have debris floating but that is my usual indication of water change time and I also have a pleco and she likes to stir everything up.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do you have enough for your tank size, probably. Most people filter by preference. For instance, I have a 2217 on a 29g. On my 75g I have an Eheim 2075/2229 and a small powerhead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As long as your filter is working property and you don't overstock, and do 50% water changes every week, you will be fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I have debris still floating in the water, I really should just adjust my powerhead position and reposition the canister intake tube instead of adding another canister filter? I am diligent about cleaning the canister, so I know that is not the problem. I also do a 50% water change each week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts