The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! A year ago I bought assorted/random aquatic plants from eBay and stuck em in. After going through a very busy period of my life, the plants grew out of control. Fish healthy and all, just didn't have time to manage plants.
About a month ago I got some T5HO and diy CO2. I left the plant mass in, and since then it has exploded in lovely red growth and I have some great plant stuff in there. Loads of pearling. So now I have a lot of happy plant, only problem is, its kinda in one big clump. Question is, how do I go about tackling this? I'm actually a bit scared of it, its all a massive tangle of different species and roots - loads of roots :surprise:

How much of this do you think I can salvage, how much plant to buy, can you tell what species I have at the minute (I can upload better photos in a bit, image size limit) and how on earth do I go about dealing with this beast practically? As in, when I actually decide to deal with it, what steps should I take?

Thankssss in advance!! :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Looks good to me, I like the jungle look! Trim the tops of the stems and if you dont want to replant then may I suggest an roak or sell them. Is that red plant Alternanthera reineckii?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Looks like it, I bought some emmersed ones last week, with flowers and all. Still trying to get it happy.

Lost leaves when I put it in water, and now drying out after taking it out but leaving roots submerged.
Just dumped it back in the water tonight.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks good to me, I like the jungle look! Trim the tops of the stems and if you dont want to replant then may I suggest an roak or sell them. Is that red plant Alternanthera reineckii?
I'm not sure which red plant you're looking at, but I see a bunch of Rotala rotundifolia with a stem or two of a ludwigia.

Either way, first step in making the tank nice and neat is cutting all the stems down to a couple inches off the substrate. It looks like they're growing in and around rosette plants (small swords of some sort?) and choking them out.

Once you have the tops out of the way, pull out the trunks that are growing in places that you're not happy with and leave the ones you like where they are. They'll grow back nice and bushy.

You can then re-plant the tops wherever you like, and send the ones you don't use out as an RAOK.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the progress!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, last Saturday my plants arrived so I launched a full frontal assault! I did order new plants in the end, and used some of what I already had, but I have a fair amount left over which I'll roak as soon as I next have some free time. :)

Here it is after four days. I only left the massive two sword clumps which have multiplied somewhat because I liked their positioning and didn't fancy pulling them up, their roots must be tank length! Everything else came out except for some really thick stems, which I just cut to the base.

Diy co2 and excel, 9+ hours t5ho and I'm already seeing growth, so I'm happy :D no algae... yet... I did find a dead tetra this afternoon, but it was an old one rescued from a really bad friends tank a few months back, ammonia/nitrite 0, so I think it was just one of those things.

Let me know what you thinks! Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.