The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and can not find anything about this . Plenty on how much to dose , what to use , etc . I have been dosing 2X Glut at Excel strength for months , but I don't see any reason to continue , plus the cost has risen a great deal . I just wondered if you stop "cold turkey" or do you gradually wean the tank off of it ? I may still use it to spot treat for BBA . TIA .

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks . I figured , but I didn't want an all out algae attack if I just stopped suddenly .

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say , I stopped dosing Excel/Glut on Feb 9 . There has been no difference in plants , like Greggz said . The interesting thing is I had some BBA , not a lot , in both tanks and I noticed today that the BBA turning red and getting eaten by the Platys . That's a new one on me , but a pleasant outcome from stopping the Excel/Glut

Reactions: Greggz

·
Registered
589 Posts
I never stop dosing excel when I started my first planted tank 4 year ago. Now that I have CO2 and no longer have bba, I continue to dose the initial high rate after weekly large water change. I have no algae issue with healthy plants, and my goal is to prevent algae growth on hard surfaces rock, filter parts and underside of glass lid. I use cheap generic Glutaldehyde and use up one gallon a year for my 75 and 125g planted tank. It’s use and lose as the shelf life of open bottle is about one year. There is no harm to fish and shrimp if dose at recommended dosage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts