The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting my tank, in fact I'm still buying the equipment for this one.

What sort of fish would be ok in some very hard water? since this is what I get from my tap.

Temperature is also at a constant 76º without the help of a heater.

I'm aiming for a low tech tank BTW.

I had a betta in my previous 3g, but I'm looking for something more active than that this time :) .

Should I just get a 20g instead?, and if so, what fish do you recommend?

I'm still just a beginner in the fish/plant keeping hobby.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I like 10gal tanks. Small and easy to take care of, and great for nano fish! I love nano fish... and you've got lots of options!

Red cherry shrimp
Ruby tetras
Ember tetras
Dwarf gourami
Dwarf rasporas
Dwarf cories
Dwarf rainbows
Peacock gudgeon...

are just a few of my own favorites, but there are plenty of others too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :D ! I don't know half the fish on that list, so I'll have to do some research on them.

I'm staying away from shrimp, mother thinks they're ugly and for now I rather keep her happy XD.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Ugly? Has she seen red cherry shrimp?

Or Tiger shrimp?

Here's Ruby tetras (Axelrodia riesei)

One of the many dwarf raspora species, this is Boraras brigittae

Green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans) would be a slightly better choice than either regular Neon or Cardinal tetras since they stay smaller and you could keep more, but either of the other two would work also

Ember tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae)

Sparkling (pygmy) gourami (Trichopsis pumila)

Dwarf catfish
Corydoras habrosus

C. hastatus

Peacock gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I love shrimp, maybe I can sneak a pair in. However aren't they delicate?, the water hardness is what worries me the most.

I'm sure I saw either the ruby or ember tetras somewhere.

Dwarf catfish are impossible to get here, closest thing is a corydora paleatus.

And I think this is the first time I've seen those gudgeon, they're gorgeous, I'll have to check if anyone has those.

Now that I think of it, I don't remember ever seeing any rasboras around, but they should be easier to identify now that I have a pic to go by. :D

Regular neons and cardinals are much easier to come by, do you how many of those I can fit comfortably in a 10g?

·
Registered
202 Posts
not sure how typical this is of a planted tank, but i'm making mine with a dwarf puffer, and ten gallons would be more than enough. I love mine, and its quite interesting, always trying to see what's going on outside. Although a con would be the fact that most dwarf puffers dont like tank mates

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Ah, I love shrimp, maybe I can sneak a pair in. However aren't they delicate?, the water hardness is what worries me the most.
RCS (red cherry shrimp) are very hardy, all they need is a stable, clean tank the same as any fish does.

Regular neons and cardinals are much easier to come by, do you how many of those I can fit comfortably in a 10g?
Cardinals get larger, so I'd say a school of 5 would work. Neons you could probably keep 7 or so.

(This is also taking into consideration that you'll have a few bottom dwellers.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure how typical this is of a planted tank, but i'm making mine with a dwarf puffer, and ten gallons would be more than enough. I love mine, and its quite interesting, always trying to see what's going on outside. Although a con would be the fact that most dwarf puffers dont like tank mates
Yeah, though I'd like more than a single fish this time. I love bettas and am thinking a puffer should be about the same. Just looking for something I can see move around more often.

RCS (red cherry shrimp) are very hardy, all they need is a stable, clean tank the same as any fish does.

Cardinals get larger, so I'd say a school of 5 would work. Neons you could probably keep 7 or so.

(This is also taking into consideration that you'll have a few bottom dwellers.)
Perfect, I don't think my mom will notice their existence too quickly.

I'll probably go with neons then, 7 is a nice number. Since the dwarves a so hard to come by, do you think the corydora paleatus or a few ottos would be ok?

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
Yeah, though I'd like more than a single fish this time. I love bettas and am thinking a puffer should be about the same. Just looking for something I can see move around more often.

Perfect, I don't think my mom will notice their existence too quickly.

I'll probably go with neons then, 7 is a nice number. Since the dwarves a so hard to come by, do you think the corydora paleatus or a few ottos would be ok?
Non dwarfs are too large for a 10 gallon
In my opinion even dwarfs are too active for a 10 gallon

You should just order all your fish from theinvertfactory, they sell lots of good fish for a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans) would be a slightly better choice than either regular Neon or Cardinal tetras since they stay smaller and you could keep more, but either of the other two would work also
thats exactly what i need. got a 5.5g tank i wanted to put neons in but wanted more than 5. now i just gotta find somewhere that carries green neons...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aww, I love the green tetras, I'd get a bunch if I could find someone that sells them D:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
yea i got a batch in at the store, they remind me of golum...

:shudder:
Like from Lord of the Rings?!?! Sorry, don't see the fish - creepy little man connection, lol.

But I personally don't like neons period, that shiny blue/red just looks too flashy IMO, I would get some microrasboras.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My all-time favorite nano plant is Cryptocoryne parva. They're compact and slow-growing. Another is Anubias petite.

As for fishes, I may sound like a broken record, but celestial pearl danios are awesome for small tanks (that is, if you can find where to buy them).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts