The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody knew how to setup a small aquatic plant business. Like what lighting methods, co2, ferts, plants (probably easier ones, less demanding), substrate, etc. right now I have a 29 gallon community, that maybe I could use for some bigger plants if I get better lighting, a 10 gallon betta tank(sand, lowtech, 2wpg), and three spare ten gallon tanks. I was looking for the cheapest/best (the best combination of both, equaled out I guess) way to go into the business. INformation would be awesome, pics of your setups or setups you've seen would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Take money, throw in garbage, walk away.

But seriously, just focus on growing plants and getting good at it. Expecting to MAKE a PROFIT just getting into this is a long shot.

Just grow some stuff you like and sell the clippings. Gonna get rich? Nope

If you want a business, large grow tubs, lighting, central filter, etc.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Take money, throw in garbage, walk away.

But seriously, just focus on growing plants and getting good at it. Expecting to MAKE a PROFIT just getting into this is a long shot.

Just grow some stuff you like and sell the clippings. Gonna get rich? Nope

If you want a business, large grow tubs, lighting, central filter, etc.
You mean I can't get rich right off the back? :help:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
At least, you have to be so good at it that you have plants thriving, no algae, and no nutrient deficiency. I would assume you must have couple of years of experiences with setting up planted tanks. FYI, no vendors mentioned it, do not try to sell plants by ordering them from a large distributor, and you as the middle man. This will lead to shipment delay to the customers. Second, increase more stress on the plants by being in delivery (in transit) more than necessary.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
follow that yellow brick road

sorry but couldn't help it, good luck OP that's a tough biz to break even in.
swapping for tank use yes absolutely!
business = for profit and government regulated (not this little indian)
I posted all my research looking into it awhile back then forgot about it.
Church (site member) PM'd me about it awhile back and I sent him the links to the information I had on doing it. He might still have it.

good luck

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
One thing that is really essential is a co2 system for all plants. A big chunk of commercially farmed plants are done so emersed so that means high humidity racks.

Like I said, focusing on growing plants well and getting into it more will be the key to any real chance at success.

Most of the businesses you see out there are simply resellers of plants from places like florida aquatic nurseries. Aquariumplants.com(local to me) is an example of this.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
One thing that is really essential is a co2 system for all plants. A big chunk of commercially farmed plants are done so emersed so that means high humidity racks.

Like I said, focusing on growing plants well and getting into it more will be the key to any real chance at success.

Most of the businesses you see out there are simply resellers of plants from places like florida aquatic nurseries. Aquariumplants.com(local to me) is an example of this.

I thought they have their own nurseries, at least big enough with enough plant stocks to accommodate the demands?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Like I said, it is a metal building in the middle of nowhere. I've been there a few dozen times.

They are not a nursery and do not propegate any plants. Only resellers of plants from other much larger nurseries.

Compare:
FAN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuJ-anRrOxY

AP:

That is ALL of their tanks. They are all submersed tanks, but hold plants that are emersed grown. This is a view from the roof in their building.

Nobody said they were a basement operation. But they are a reseller. Like all of the placed you can buy plants from. Even guys like Gordon in the powerseller section are reselling plants. This isn't a "bad" thing at all. It is just the reality of the scale required to grow plants to make a profit.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
ok, well I wasn't really trying to get to in depth with it, just a little extra money for other things, upkeeping other tanks n such, but not a lot of profit, i'm only in highschool so it really isn't a life endeavor
The swapnshop is great for making a little extra to keep tanks going.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ok, well I wasn't really trying to get to in depth with it, just a little extra money for other things, upkeeping other tanks n such, but not a lot of profit, i'm only in highschool so it really isn't a life endeavor
Then just focus on growing good plants and sell what you don't need. Think of it as "growing plants" and not a business.

The second you call it a business you'll get to pay to be a sponsor here, like me!

There is a rather intense amount to it when you are trying to make a profit.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I was wondering if anybody knew how to setup a small aquatic plant business.
If welcome to the website. Most of us are pretty friendly & helpful...though sometime you might not believe it.

In any small business you need a business plan...before you do anything.

Who is your market?
Who is your competitor?
How much do you have to invest? (both time & money)
How much work are are you willing to do and NOT do?
How long can you run your business before you make a profit?
How much overhead can you handle?

Many successful small business find a small nitch and fill it. They become an expert in that little part of their industry. That said don't try to sell every type of plant pick some thing you like do it & do it well. Become the "moss" guy, or the "Java" guy or the "sword" guy.

Next is your customer service reputation. You can have the best ANYTHING, but if you have reputation for not following-up emails, your late on orders, your stuff is weak...your dead. Don't get on a website and be a jerk. Doesn't matter if you are right....if you're a jerk, people remember.

I know you want a nuts & bolts answer. Really, you're better off reading all the specific threads here from Lights down to DIY. Look at your answers to the lists above, be honest with yourself. Look at the space you have to work with. You might be able to have a nice little business with two 4' ranks that go floor to ceiling with 4' shop fixture and old restaurant buss pans, were you could grow a dozen types of moss and carpet plants.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
welcome to the website. Most of us are pretty friendly & helpful...though sometime you might not believe it.

In any small business you need a business plan...before you do anything.
aww come on dog, I wasn't harsh, just posted it wasn't for me.

did include a lead on somebody sitting on about a weeks worth of research on what was involved in the current drama of a start up in aquaculture.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay, so like three ten galls lined up and some big clear tubs with one or two light fixtures for all of them, gotta figure out how to make one myself on the cheap, lol
one of the tanks being floating plants (java moss, water sprite, red root floater, frogbit, etc)
another being stem plants such as swords, jave fern, etc.
and another being carpet plants, dwarf hairgrass, crypts, etc.
of course only having two maybe three types per tub/tank, I will probably start out with plants that I already have which are: amazon sword, java fern, crypt parva, dwarf hairgrass, java moss, echinodorus vesuvius, micro sword narrow leaf, crypt wendtii, lotus, and a very weak pogostemon erectus, probably buying two more kinds, floating probably
that would work right?
now I need to know how to make a good light fixture, like 3-6 wpg or so, make the growing a lil faster with co2 (idk if I should do excel or diy, excel sounds easier)
btw, what is swap n shop?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
If you're completely new to aquatic plants, grow them emersed. You don't have to worry about CO2 & ferts & algae. Grow them in dirt but keep things moist.

Choose plants that are in high demand and you can propagate them easily emersed.
No point in growing common, cheap plants you can get at petco.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.