The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 gallon tank I believe. We have rocks on the bottom a filter and a heater. We have one beta in the tank and a few fake plants. We also have a golden snail and a black devil spiked snail.

We had a dwarf frog in there and he died. Now looking to do something with what is left. And alittle more fun for a 6 year old.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Depends on the individual Betta's temperament whether he gets along with snails or not. Some people have zero issues, some have their Betta harass the snails (even though he can't kill the snails).

If he doesn't bother your current snails he might not mess with new additions. Then again new additions may be seen as intruders of his territory or just something new to curiously inspect. Not sure if one day he will get bored and start messing with the snails.

You could stick with larger/medium snails, like Nerites and they come in a big assortment of colors. Just make sure to have enough food for them.
Not sure how much "fun" they will be, they are snails after all, but some of them have cool markings.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Hmm for a 6 year old...hard task. ( I was about that age when I got my first aquarium :D )

I would say the betta is enough as far as fish are concerned.

Add a few ramshorn snails. They breed by laying translucent eggs on the glass or equipment. The child can observe the snails inside the eggs as they develop and then see them grow. They eat algae and leftovers. Once you have enough ramshorn snails add a few Clea helena, snail killing snails. If you are lucky you see them killing a ramshorn snail. These snails will lower the ramshorn snail population and grow its own population. Good project to see how the numbers of the two snail types vary over time ( prey - predator relation)

There are some easy plants you can add : Anubias, java fern, moss, floating plants

A few things that helped me as a child ( with parent guidance of course):
-- Make the child responsible for the aquarium. The boy/girl has to check if the equipment is ok, the fish are fed and assist in the water change and clean-up.
-- Ask the child to find some answers. With the internet he can learn a lot about aquariums.What temperature is good for the Betta ? Why can we only have one Betta male ? Why do we change the water ? What and why do we add to the water ? What do plants need to grow underwater ? How do we need to plant them ? Why do we have algae ? What algae types do we have ?
-- as a child nothing was more interesting for me than when snails or fish breeded. Guppies are simple to breed and grow the fry, but you need a bigger aquarium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts