The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what shipping service people use to ship plants that they want to get rid of for shipping only. The only time I ever mail packages I go into the post office and they weight it and THEN I found out much the ground shipping is, but I have a feeling that is not how people are shipping ROAKs,

Now that my tank is up and kicking good, I have been throwing out wads and wads of wisteria, which probably nobody wants anyway, but can you believe some of my crypts have grown so much I am going to have to pull some out? I don't want to throw those out. I hate throwing out plants!

I read about how to pack them, (in a damp paper towel with no excess water and in a baggie) but I need to figure out how to ship them. I would really prefer not to have to go to the post office since I would have to haul my toddler in there or go wait in line forever on my lunch break.

Does anyone use these? It looks like I can have them sent right to my house and then drop them in a post office mailbox? Right?? I could totally handle that! http://uspsstore.stamps.com/Store/catalog/product.jsp?id=pmsfrb&navAction=jump&navCount=1.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi greenmulberry,

+1 for what somewhatshocked and tetranerd said. I always ship USPS Priority Mail, typically I use their free 7"X7"X6" shipping boxes, and print my postage on the PayPal website. A couple of times folks have 'gifted' me their payments (which I don't like) and then I had to use the USPS website. Since my boxes are not 'Flat Rate' size the USPS Priority Mail fee ($6.30 to east coast) and the PayPal fees ($0.51) costs me somewhere between $6-$7.

An ROAK is exactly that, a random act of kindness for the other individual. I have an issue with folks that charge $7 and then ship via First Class mail. If someone is going to ship 'First Class' they should state so in their ROAK post and charge accordingly. Obviously it is cheaper to ship First Class and the 'seller' makes a couple of dollars. I hear people justify their actions because it takes time to bag, label, package, and possibly drive to the USPO but the idea is not to make money, the purpose to kindness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.