The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had a dirted aquarium for some time now capped with estes stoney river sand, and i wanted to rescape with more sand and no dirt, is there any way i can remove the sand (with the tank empty of course) and the dirt separately, or clean the dirt out of the sand?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You can siphon out the top layer of river sand into a clean bucket. Once you get to the parts of sand that have mixed with the dirt, siphon it all into a different bucket, and rinse/wait/repeat. Either the dirt will settle first or the sand will, and you can probably clean out 90+% of the sand. You'll probably end up tossing at least some of it out though.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
ive had a dirted aquarium for some time now capped with estes stoney river sand, and i wanted to rescape with more sand and no dirt, is there any way i can remove the sand (with the tank empty of course) and the dirt separately, or clean the dirt out of the sand?
thanks in advance
Having redone several dirted tanks at this point I found it impossible to tell the difference between mulm and dirt. You can scoop out as much sand as you feel like experimenting with into a bucket, then take it outside and treat it like the initial cleaning washing it with a hose. You will succeed depending on 1) how much dirt you are willing to tolerate in the new setup, and 2) how much time you are willing to put into the cleaning.

For my part I had low tolerance on both of these so gave up pretty quickly and just used new sand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts