The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is going well overall so far(still cycling, additional plants still haven't arrived) except for the moss(a mix of java, christmas and flame). It is driving me insane. I can' t seem to organize it in any way. I was thinking of tying it all to the root I have(something similar to redmoor). Would that work? Would it eventually attach and start growing?(i would have no issue with trimming it once in a while). I do not want a wall, carpet or tree but I cannot leave it as is either it is making my tank look messy

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yes, tie it to wood and rocks.

I cannot easily tie knots but you can anchor the thread with gel super glue. I just did this for my new nano and so far so good. Dropped a dot of glue in the middle of the branch I'm working on and wrap the thread around there about 3x so it is anchored by the glue and also by itself. Lay a thin layer of moss on the branch to one side of your anchor point and wrap roughly maybe every inch to the end or branch crotch. If you are satisfied with coverage then go back to the anchor point wrapping every 1/4" or so or lay more moss and wrap closely. Lay moss on the other end of the branch and wrap roughly, check for coverage and wrap back to the start point closely. I dot more glue then wrap around several times to secure. Starting and stopping near crotches is probably less visible, I just put the glue under the branch. Wrap firmly as it is damage to the moss strands that causes it to branch and anchor. Cotton will rot in a couple weeks or less, nylon lasts a long time and is difficult to pull out of well grown moss. Your choice! I think mine was polyester as I couldn't find nylon and it is fine after a month underwater. Same for rocks, think making a yarn ball. My thread is brown and vanishes against the dark wood, rocks look a bit like yarn balls though.

The stuff will escape and grow into mounds and balls anyway but growing into such in your tank will look nicer than dropping random balls of moss in. I am not sure what my moss is, assume it's plain old java but it grabs substrate and rocks very well and makes great thickets in Anubias roots.

My daughter just lay moss loosely at the bottom of her 10 gallon tank and anchored it with random pretty pebbles and it grew into a loose ground cover under a division of my mystery crypt. Looked great. I think she removed it all when it got too thick and redid it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.