The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Most people either blend tap with RO to achieve a desired KH and GH, or they start with 100% RO and either leave KH alone (0 degrees) or they dose KH up just slightly (0.5 - 2 degrees).

To dose KH up, and thus pH, potassium bicarbonate or potassium carbonate are usually used. Very very few ever dose acids to reduce KH thus pH.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
And how do you guys adjust PH of tap/RO water before pumping the tanks?
Hi @Ganfish,

I use muriatic acid to lower my pH / alkalinity. Muriatic Acid is a dilute form of Hydrochloric Acid and the calcium in the calcium carbonate bonds with the chloride in the hydrochoric acid to form calcium chloride, water, and CO2. It doesn't take much to lower the pH; I lowered the pH of 26 gallons of water from 7.6 to 6.4 with just two milliliters (2 ml) of Muriatic Acid. Just to be safe I use a dechlor product like Prime to remove any free chlorine that may have been released by the Muriatic Acid. When working with acid always practice recommended safety measures. -Roy

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you need more acidic water, use RO by itself - it should be 6.0 to 6.5. You'll need to add back in GH one way or another (there are lots of options), but that won't affect pH like adding carbonates will. Aquasoils will buffer your pH down too, but they lose their ability to do this after a while.

·
Registered
560 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.