The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any leeches, but just wondered.

Has anyone successfully exterminated leeches from an aquarium or pond? Preferably a method that doesn't harm plants or fish and does not require removing plants/fish.

Since leeches are Annelids/segmented-worms, I am wondering if any of the common fish dewormers work, such as Praziquantel, Metronidazole, Levamisole HCL or Fenbendazole.

I have heard of Mardel Clout being able to kill leeches, but I've heard that med is very toxic and harmful to fish and plants.

I would think Levamisole HCl would work, but I don't know for sure.

If you know what med works, could you also list (if you know) dosing instructions for anyone that may come across this thread and has a leech infestation? Are two treatment courses enough? (to kill new worms that were born from eggs after the first treatment)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Not sure if it will work or dosing instructions practical for levamisole....

2mg/litre combined with 24h light blackout (covering tank in aquarium setting), not sure of the reason, but guess it could potentially break down in light like potassium permanganate does (which is also used in the dark).

After 24h siphon and replace 75% of water, repeat after 3 weeks....

·
Registered
173 Posts
I found a leech in my tank once and pulled it out. I had it in a small bowl, and as an experiment, I added a good amount of fenbendazole to see if it would kill it. It didn't work.

Reactions: WaterLife
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.