The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I started my planted tank around ten days ago, within five days i had to tear it down and start over again... its a learning process but the past five days things have been looking good. i got my diy co2 going and plants have started growing nicely. So far i have been afraid to add any fish for i want to make sure my parameters are in check and im afraid they my co2 could be to high with it running at night time with out lights, i guess i should buy a test kit. anyways to my problem within the past two days ive noticed alot of surface film starting to devlope, the film is catching all my co2 bubbles and trapping them which i suppose is a good thing but agian i dont know if this is raising my levels to much at night. my flow is good but i cant get my filter elbow to point upwards enought to actualy get the surface flowing. i dont want to lose co2 so airstones...etc are out of the question. I hear that there are fish (mollies, swordtails...) that are surface skimmers and will solve my problem... is this true? if so which do you recommend and any other recommondations about if my tank is safe for fish i would love to hear them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh also my ph is 6.6 and my ammonia is at .25 ppm almost down to 0. another question is that all my plants are doing great except my hygro augustifolia which is growing but the top half of its long leaves are yellowish. what ferts should i add to fix to get them green?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have recently battled with surface scum. I use a sump, and for some reason, the stuff just wouldn't flow down and go away. Any hoo, I got tired of planting some indica rotundifolia and I had heard that it grows ok as a floater. I let the last few stems float out of laziness and curiosity (more laziness). Two days later, all of the surface scum is gone. So try some floaters and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use air stones running only when the lights are out (the plants are then taking in little or no CO2) to eliminate surface scum.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wish the floating plant idea worked for me, but no luck. I did find the Duetto DJ 100 can be used as a surface skimmer with minor modifications and it also works for me as a CO2 reactor. The modifications to the filter media prevent it from clogging after a few days. I have gone from being disappointed in this little filter (poor water flow after a few days) to finding a way to keep it running at a high flow rate and dispersing DIY CO2 and am very pleased with it. Good luck. :proud:
http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/6231-diy-co2-reactor-surface-skimmer.html

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
you can also scoop it with a fishnet too if you don't mind the 3 seconds of work. if you're raising daphnia, you can feed the scum to the bugs.

·
Registered
931 Posts
black mollies eat surface scum pretty effectively IME. I have two of them, and they frequently go up to the surface and nibble at it. I've never had a problem with it after getting them, but before i used to have a pretty serious issue with it.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I have recently battled with surface scum. I use a sump, and for some reason, the stuff just wouldn't flow down and go away. Any hoo, I got tired of planting some indica rotundifolia and I had heard that it grows ok as a floater. I let the last few stems float out of laziness and curiosity (more laziness). Two days later, all of the surface scum is gone. So try some floaters and see if it works for you.
So, yesterday I took the best 2/3 of my floating indica and planted it. Surface scum is back today.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What type of sump you´ve got?
What filtration?
Do you have an overflow?
What is the CO2 loss?

I´m kinda planning to make an overflow/sump for long time and wonder what´s your personal experiences with that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mollies... I got two and they cleared it up fast.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
What type of sump you´ve got?
What filtration?
Do you have an overflow?
What is the CO2 loss?

I´m kinda planning to make an overflow/sump for long time and wonder what´s your personal experiences with that.
Thanks.

I have a marineland cornerflo tank and a wet dry called a tidepool II, since discontinued. It's a great design for many applications, but maybe not a planted tank. I have it covered in press n seal. I figure a 5 lb tank would last me twice as long as the 4 to 6 weeks I use it if I just had a better equipped sump. I can live with the extra CO2 expense, $20/month, but the DIYer in my is going to do something about the sump someday.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
if you have $15 get the device the Smog recommended. I got one last week and surface scum is gone. Much of whatever floats to the surface is gone and large items gather there for easy removal.

This is oneof those rare things that costs little and gets you much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts