The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a bunch of Ludwigia Pantanal from a reddit user off r/aquaswap.

The pantanal arrived in a sandwich ziplock bag filled with water and like 10-15 plant stem trimmings sitting in the water. The water the plants were sitting in was warm af, probably like 90+degrees if I had to guess considering it felt very warm to the touch. All the leaves off the of stems had melted off and began floating freely in the water.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could revive them? Should I let them float at the top of the fish tank where they are closest to the light? Should I plant the leaf-less stems in the substrate? I'm not sure if they pull nutrients from the water column or from the substrate, so what's the best way that I can attempt to salvage these plants?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered a bunch of Ludwigia Pantanal from a reddit user off r/aquaswap.

The pantanal arrived in a sandwich ziplock bag filled with water and like 10-15 plant stem trimmings sitting in the water. The water the plants were sitting in was warm af, probably like 90+degrees if I had to guess considering it felt very warm to the touch. All the leaves off the of stems had melted off and began floating freely in the water.
ouch, what a horrible way to ship plants. i'd float them on the top of the tank and make sure they have good co2 and light. once they start showing roots, i'd plant them.

·
Planted Tanker
6,050 Posts
It just depends on whether the integrity of the stem itself is violated or it just dropped a bunch of leaves. The current stems are <most likely> not going to take off and continue growing themselves. If they live, they will produce new growth from the nodes and you'll have to wait until the new baby stems are long enough to plant. Floating them is probably the best chance they have

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you two suggested is what I figured. I thought they'd have the best chance being on top because at least they'd get some CO2. My fish tank doesn't have CO2 injection, so hopefully I can revive them haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
What you two suggested is what I figured. I thought they'd have the best chance being on top because at least they'd get some CO2. My fish tank doesn't have CO2 injection, so hopefully I can revive them haha
not to be a downer but pantanal even very healthy stems are not likely to survive in a non-co2 tank. they need very low kh and ph. good Ca:Mg ratio, stable co2 and good light.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not to be a downer but pantanal even very healthy stems are not likely to survive in a non-co2 tank. they need very low kh and ph. good Ca:Mg ratio, stable co2 and good light.
No worries :) Yeah, I know that it isn't likely to survive. I've got 3 stems though that are doing fairly ok in there though. The tops are nice and red and it's been growing new leaves. I have a twinstar s series, so light isn't a problem. One problem though is that all the leaves towards the bottom of the plant are melting off and one of the stems broke in half, leaving the top red part floating around in the aquarium. It's definitely a struggle and I may need to invest in a CO2 system haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts