The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a nice Eheim canister to replace my leaking Sunsun -- I am looking for any insight into switching from a well established canister to a new one. I thought of running both the canisters for a short time so that the new canister has time to break-in, but the logistics of the setup do not allow this.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Can you put any of the bio-media from the Sunsun filter into the new Eheim filter?

If that's not an option for you, you can always put the Sunsun bio-media into a nylon stocking or mesh bag and hang it in a good water flow in your aquarium for a couple weeks until your Eheim filter has matured.

Which ever method you use, monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels every few days to make sure you don't get a spike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I second @deeda 's post. Running both filters would be best, but putting old bio-media into the new filter is the next best option. I would put as much of the filtration material as possible from the Sunsun into the Eheim and run it like that for a few weeks, then replace with the new Eheim filtration material just as you would replace filter material normally.

Not super familiar with the Eheim setup, but if you have multiple levels/stages of filtration, you could replace old material with new one step at a time, not all at once, waiting like a week in between if you want to be super careful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense, thanks for the responses. Given the tight setup, I have to decommission the Sunsun first anyway. I will transfer some of the bio media to the eheim and monitor the water as you suggest. Good thing is that it is a large tank, planted, and only has few fish and snails.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
I will transfer some of the bio media to the eheim
Transfer as much media as you can. Then, over time, you can slowly replace it with Eheim media if you want. Maybe a piece or two per month until it's how you want it.

And then definitely do as @deeda suggests in keeping the rest of it in your tank somehow. I've seen people fill filter media bags or stockings with old media and attach them to their new filter's intake. By attach, I mean tie or rubber band around. Or, if you've got sponges from the old filter, you can cut them and use them as a pre-filter. (If you've got enough sponge material, you could even do a DIY sponge filter with a cheap air pump to use for a while.)

On occasion, I've had to do this and I end up using old ceramic rings by stashing them behind plants or hard scape. Have left some of them in tanks permanently if they're not visible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts