The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have my tank set up and I've been trying to figure out how to properly run my CO2. I have this kit
with a fluval bubble counter and diffuser. If anyone else has this kit or knows any knowledge, how do you work it so that the pressure is released so that I can put a fresh mix in? theres barely any CO2 bubbles anymore but the pressure isn't being released for me to safely unscrew the caps so I can put new mix in. Any suggestions. It does have a needle valve but I don't feel like it works.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have my tank set up and I've been trying to figure out how to properly run my CO2. I have this kit Robot Check
with a fluval bubble counter and diffuser. If anyone else has this kit or knows any knowledge, how do you work it so that the pressure is released so that I can put a fresh mix in? theres barely any CO2 bubbles anymore but the pressure isn't being released for me to safely unscrew the caps so I can put new mix in. Any suggestions. It does have a needle valve but I don't feel like it works.
I’m not quite sure if I understand you correctly. So have you had it working before? When I used to do DIY CO2, the diffuser's ceramic atomizing disc got clogged up. So I had to let it sit in bleach for 5 minutes and rinse it. Show us which Fluval bubble counter and diffuser you have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this bubble counter
and this diffuser
I don't think it is clogged yet, the co2 was set up not too long ago. The pressure is reading a little less than .5 kg/cm3 and I am pretty much getting no bubbles per second. All i want to do is change out the mix.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had to bleach my disc every time I mixed a new bottle. You would need to bleach it if you’ve used it for a month. Also, I hear that you should keep the diffuser away from the light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess i should rephrase my question. Now that the CO2 has been used up, how do i relieve any of the leftover pressure in the bottles so that I can safely dismantle the system? I don't want to unscrew the cap and have it blow up in my face. There isn't enough CO2 left to make bubbles but there is still some pressure in the bottles. Unless I don't need to. It's out of the "green zone" and its reading .5kg/cm3

Bump: also thank you for the replies. I plan on using your mix next

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Haha, its not going to blow up man. Just don't shake the bottle before opening it, and work over a sink in case it fizzes a little.
I'm not sure those little ceramic diffusers are intended for DIY CO2. I use one of the hagen/nutrifn ladder types.

I find I get a more consistent gas release, with low amounts of yeast, rather than using lots, which does build up pressure quickly and then flattens and drops off just as quickly.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yea... I was kinds confused by what he asked too. No need to worry about any pressure, just open the thing up. I have two nutrafin diy c02 units hook up with a single t-valve and I change each bottle once a week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like they said you can open it no problem i think in a soda bottle with coke in more then 2,3 bars can work up.
at 2 bars the bottles ain't nearly as hard as they can be full of coke and shaken up..

Dunno about fluval ones but i ran diy co2 on a chinese inline diffuser and even that worked pretty well although i had to change out the bottles every 2 days :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.