The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experts,

i have a quick question:

I have a couple of CRS and other shrimp tanks, the two tanks in question are a 20 gallon and an 80 gallon tank. i currently reconstitute my water in the following manner to attain a PH of 6.8 GH of 4 and kh of 1.5 at a TDS of 155 - i use equilibrium with Alkaline buffer and acid buffer.

i use ADA amazonia ii and i am heavily planted on both tanks and i do use CO2

the other method i use is to mix my RO/DI water with well water at a ratio that gives me a a ph of 6.9 (amazonia will drop the ph to 6.7) gh of 4 and kh of 4 (which i know is high) at a tds of 120, if i add the Seachem acid buffer to lower the kh to 2 the TDS spikes to 150+

my question is what is the best method to reconstitute my RO/DI water and is 150 TDS too high. keep in mind that i am reconstituting water for 100 gallons and i need to make sure this is affordable.

I thank you all for your help

·
Super Moderator
15,218 Posts
150 isn't too high.

The best method, if you can swing it, is to buy a better remineralizing product like Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra, Shirakura Ca+ or the Salty Shrimp products. They're all cleaner, lower TDS, better goodies for shrimp as they're shrimp-specific. Salty Shrimp will be the most affordable and Alpha Pro Breeders keeps it in stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am new to this, but I bought the smaller size of the Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ based on recommendations here and I have been pleased with it. It gets the R/O water to a GH of 5 by using the recommended amount. TDS is in the 120s. It does not take much either so it seems like it will last a long time. I have berried females and some baby shrimp so seems like a good product to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honestly I will have to test the KH to confirm. I used an older (5 years) KH test kit that showed it to be either 1 or 2 don't remember for certain, but I don't trust it and just last week got a new KH test kit that I have not used. I will test it tonight and let you know. The GH I mentioned was tested with a new test kit and I comfortable with those readings.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Honestly I will have to test the KH to confirm. I used an older (5 years) KH test kit that showed it to be either 1 or 2 don't remember for certain, but I don't trust it and just last week got a new KH test kit that I have not used. I will test it tonight and let you know. The GH I mentioned was tested with a new test kit and I comfortable with those readings.
How do you get those KH readings, Is that how many drops it takes for the water to turn yellow?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Made new 5 gallon bucket of RO water. I added one level scoop. Test results GH of six KH zero TDS 104. Note that package says a level scoop treats 3 gallons or 20 liters. The liter to gallon conversion is off. 20 liters is a little over 5 gallons so the scoop treats 5 gallons to a GH of six.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good question that I don't know the answer to. I was assuming it was zero since it went straight to yellow. On the other hand when it took the second drop to turn it yellow I take that to mean it is a 2. Not sure how you know 0 vs 1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts