The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, having an issue with too much potassium getting in and looking to change my regime. I think there’s potassium going in every step of the way... I use RO water, remineralise with Seachem equilibrium, fert with Liverpool Creek all in one (Aussie brand - it’s brilliant) and Seachem nitrogen. Pressurised co2 used with 50% weekly change.
I bought a JBL potassium test kit today and The turbidity didn’t even let me see 1cm up - problem is there’s no way of deciphering what levels are past 15mg/l.
Is there anyone who can help me figure this out??

·
Registered
507 Posts
Fish food will add nitrogen and phosphate with little potassium. In other words, stock higher fish load and feed more.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Is 5Ca(NO3)2·NH4NO3·10H2O (Calcium Nitrate) the way to go?
Calcium nitrate or ammonium nitrate will raise nitrates, but both have their disadvantages.

Calcium nitrate will raise your general hardness.

Ammonium nitrate will add ammonia into your aquarium

·
Registered
4 Posts
Calcium nitrate or ammonium nitrate will raise nitrates, but both have their disadvantages.

Calcium nitrate will raise your general hardness.

Ammonium nitrate will add ammonia into your aquarium
The nutrients ratio NO3:NH4:Ca for the formula is about 14:1:18. So the impact on GH will not be too significant given a soft water environment?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I, generally, don't use potassium nitrate and I think that is what the OP is trying to get at, how to add nitrates without using potassium nitrate? I use a couple things and they work out great for me. First is ammonium nitrate. I try to stay at about 0.33ppm 3 times a week. I also use urea at 0.5ppm, this is for a tank that doesn't have fish in it, though. The last thing I use is magnesium nitrate for about 5ppm.I don't use any nitrates in my tank that has fish in it, it just doesn't require it, but, it is also heavily stocked, too. I don't dose for phosphates or nitrates in it, at all, in my 20 gallon tank, but, I do in my ten because there aren't any fish in it. You can calculate all these numbers out for your tank (i don't know how large it is) on rotalabutterfly.com It is an easy to use site, really user friendly, I would be lost without it, I can't do that kind of math.
I have used the 5Ca(NO3)2·NH4NO3·10H2O before and it is a little tricky, because, imo it seems to encourage algae, happi told me this, too. Maybe he can comment. It seems to me that calcium nitrate, whether it is 5Ca(NO3)2·NH4NO3·10H2O (which is calcium ammonium nitrate or CAN) and just regular calcium nitrate will encourage algae, in my experiece. There are a lot of different types of calcium nitrate and the properties seem to vary, like ammonicial nitrogen may be 1% on one batch and 1.1% on a different batch. It isn't a huge difference, but, keep in mind the percentages when calculating ppm.
I personally use a Urea, ammonium nitrate, magnesium nitrate blend and I add just a prill of the 5Ca(NO3)2·NH4NO3·10H2O at the end and it seems to help without causing a whole lot of algae in a tank with no fish. Idk if you have access to all of these, but, i think it is the best way to go. Some people like more than what I put in and you can dial it in from these numbers to find what will help your tank the best. It seems that these are all different biomes and they all like different things. If you need help with this, pm me. I agree with what one of the first people said at the top with just adding calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate. You could just buy Gypsum and some magnesium sulfate, I believe they aren't really that expensive. I just got ten pounds of calcium sulfate for $22 on Amazon and I can't imagine that the magnesium would be that expensive, considering that I think that magnesium sulfate is just epsom salts, maybe someone could confirm? I think it might be about $30 for a LOT of Gypsum (calcium sulfate) and some magnesium. Personally, when I used just calcium nitrate for the nitrates, I ended up with a lot of algae, maybe others in here have had better results from it?
Idk off hand what the numbers would be for what you are adding and if there are fish in the tank and how big the tank is. Maybe you could add those in so people can better help you? Do you just think you are adding too much potassium? Or do you know a specific number that the tank is at from a test? If you give specific numbers, the community can help you a little better. I hope this helps, good luck! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
The nutrients ratio NO3:NH4:Ca for the formula is about 14:1:18. So the impact on GH will not be too significant given a soft water environment?
It depends on how much you intend to add. You can calculate the increase in hardness if you know how much you are dosing (at what concentration) and how large your aquarium is

1 - 13 of 13 Posts