The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a singular Fluval 3.0 for my 75 gal, I know a lot of people use 2 to get a good spread. I can’t afford another so I am wondering what would be the best way to raise it? Thanks for any tips or advice :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fluval does sell a hanging kit online through various sellers if that's an option. You just have to make sure its for the 3.0 version. I googled this > Hanging Kit, you may need to hunt around for prices. I've seen others do the diy things with bending custom metal wires to add height, but I personally think hanging is better. Plus having the light suspended makes doing maintenance a little easier since you're not having to dance around the legs.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I’ve got a singular Fluval 3.0 for my 75 gal, I know a lot of people use 2 to get a good spread. I can’t afford another so I am wondering what would be the best way to raise it? Thanks for any tips or advice :)
You will get better spread with the fluval as you raise it but you also get dramatically weaker light. Your 3.0 is probably putting down around 30 ppfd at substrate currently. If you raised it just 6 inches you would be less then 20 ppfd.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Actually depends on if your tank is rimmed or rimless.
You can find all sorts of risers (can't guarantee fit) for led light bars but most are for rimless tanks..
Like this:
Fluval Aquasky LED Light Risers Set of 2 or 4 | Etsy
Interesting product for the Current mount to suspend a 3.0

An interesting and cheap way...

DIY acrylic for rimless..
Commercial..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm also disappointed in the lack of options for lifting the 3.0, even the lack of "universal" hanging posts for those that don't want to put holes in the ceiling. Most of them are all proprietary to the lights they go for. Temporarily, I took a length of 2x2 board and cut a groove lengthwise with a router, so that it would rest on the rim. It only lifted 1.5" but it was enough that I could keep a lid on the tank and move it around to get into the tank without having to lift off or remove the lights every time. Of course I didn't paint or treat the wood so it started to mildew after a bit, and now I'm looking for something a little cleaner. I may try a DIY acrylic version.
The link posted for the Amazon one is a single side for $18 (who sells something like that as a single?) from someone probably overseas and a reviewer said it took a month to receive.
The link posted for the Etsy one I've seen before, and it doesn't look like that is supported side-to-side, meaning if you bumped it from the outside, it would collapse and the light fall in the water. It's just balancing on the lip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also disappointed in the lack of options for lifting the 3.0, even the lack of "universal" hanging posts for those that don't want to put holes in the ceiling. Most of them are all proprietary to the lights they go for. Temporarily, I took a length of 2x2 board and cut a groove lengthwise with a router, so that it would rest on the rim. It only lifted 1.5" but it was enough that I could keep a lid on the tank and move it around to get into the tank without having to lift off or remove the lights every time. Of course I didn't paint or treat the wood so it started to mildew after a bit, and now I'm looking for something a little cleaner. I may try a DIY acrylic version.
The link posted for the Amazon one is a single side for $18 (who sells something like that as a single?) from someone probably overseas and a reviewer said it took a month to receive.
The link posted for the Etsy one I've seen before, and it doesn't look like that is supported side-to-side, meaning if you bumped it from the outside, it would collapse and the light fall in the water. It's just balancing on the lip.
I saw that too. It doesent look stable. I am biting the bullet and getting a 2nd 3.0. No need to raise them with 2, and I will have some nice PAR. Do you inject CO2?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts