The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without leaving them in a bucket for a week and testing everyday. I have some nice ones I would like to use but don't know if they are safe. There's no rust of metals.. Its like a rock rock so nothing is dissolving.. and vinegar didnt make it fizz...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If there is no fizzing action, then it should be okay. :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Conductivity

Not very metal effective but I think with a Digital Multimeter you can get a conductivity measurement.

How about soaking for a week or two in Amquel or other metal detoxifier and getting before/after measurements with DMM? Rocks are mostly metal oxides, but I'd verify that with your source, i.e. ores might have lead.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Most rock is aquarium safe and you really don't have anything to worry about. The acid test is only to test calcium carbonate in the rock - fizzing means the rocks are still safe to use - but only in aquariums featuring hard and basic water.

If you are that worried, go with rock already tried and true - granite, slate, granite,schist, gneiss, river rock, sandstone, quartz, basalt, petrified wood, lava rock.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I live in the granite state LOL but is there a way to make sure a rock is 100% granite? My water is slightly hard water so I don't want to make it any harder. Do you think it is safe to just fine a rock in a stream that looks like granite?

(sorry OP I hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread!)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in the granite state LOL but is there a way to make sure a rock is 100% granite? My water is slightly hard water so I don't want to make it any harder. Do you think it is safe to just fine a rock in a stream that looks like granite?

(sorry OP I hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread!)
Lol I dont mind... I was staring at a pile of rocks today wondering which ones were saf.e. none of them fizzed... I ended up scrapping most of them because they had some rust on them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts