The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I'm new to your forum. I have a ridiculously small 2-liter CO2 fertilized planted aquarium. It features two 4W-LED (a blue and a cold white) lights.

It only has a 6-in healthy, growing Echinocorus bleheri (amazon sword). Could anyone tell me how can it be propagated?.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe you have to wait for it to send out a shoot which will form a series of plantlets. I had mine for a year and a half before it did this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really??!, It's so much time. Don't you think I could split the plant in two provided that each part have roots?

brogan, don't you have some photos of the process you were talking about (plantlet production)?.

Thanks!

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
I cannot believe that you have any chance of growing such a large plant in that tiny aquarium to the "mother plant" size needed to reproduce. Aside from flowering/seed reproduction I believe swords generally reproduce by sending out baby plantlets on stems. If the plant is large enough you could split the crown as you suggest. Nurseries reproduce them efficiently with cellular cloning (or whatever that is called).

·
Registered
107 Posts
brogan, don't you have some photos of the process you were talking about (plantlet production)?.

Thanks!

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk
You can see the plantlet forming on a long wooden stem just below the drop checker. Several plantelets formed along it, but only one is visible in the picture. I let it grow for two months until it formed 5 inch roots and 4 inch leaves, then I planted it in the opposite corner of my tank. The stem grew quite long, almost 2 1/2 feet before I cut it (it would have grown longer, I'm sure) but it was growing out of the tank, so I snipped it.

The mother plant on the right side of the tank....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts