The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been having problems with diatoms in my divided betta tank and planted betta tanks. Now I am well aware that diatoms are associated with newly setup tanks. However, these tanks have been up for over a year. I don't have problems in my other tanks who have either a bn pleco or otos, but I would like to know the root of the problem rather thn just buying something to eat it, unless that is the only option.

1. Why do I still deal with diatoms?

2. What can I do to prevent diatoms from occurring in my tanks?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Diatoms are usually from high silicate levels, usually coming from silica sand substrate or your tap water having high silicates.

If you have silica sand, that may be the contributing factor. Otherwise check your city's water quality report or call your water district and see how many silicates are in your tap water. If that fails, check to see if phosphate levels are really low.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well to answer one question, the substrate that I use is blasting sand that I buy from a local sand blasting company. However, idk what type of sand it is. Also what can be done if there are silicates from either the sand or from my water supply?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Doing grit blasting with silicate sand is a hazard to health, due to silicosis from the dust. So, it is rare to find blasting grit that contains silicates. The commercial blasting grit is sold as silicate free, from my observation. A few years ago I read a lot of random water quality reports from cities around the country and found that a large percentage had some silicate in the water. But, we do big water changes routinely, so it wouldn't be primarily a new tank problem if that was what was causing our diatom algae. A few weeks ago I found a clue as to why we primarily see it in new tanks, but unfortunately, being a senior citizen, I don't remember the details. (I still manage to find my way home, though!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a question. Let's say the water is to blame for the diatoms. How does one go about in fixing that? Any help would be appreciated. Diatoms come and go in our tank. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Here is the article I mentioned, about silicates in water: Water quality information - What are silicates and why are they in water? | APEC Water

Note, that silicates are always in very low concentrations in the water, and diatoms start growing only when there are enough silicates available, but as soon as the algae eat up this small source they start dying off, due to lack of silicates. I think this may explain our aquarium diatom problem, and why it goes away soon after the tank is started up. Also, silicates in water supplies are a seasonal problem, so, depending on where you are, your tap water may only contain too little silicates for the diatoms except for brief times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.