The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone knows what's the proper o decent way of prepearing an aquatic plant that will be sent via mail? I'm not planning on sending anything but i'm thinking about doing a little trip and maybe get new specimens for my tanks. Since i'm gonna have to take a plane, what's the easiest and proper way to transporting them in my luggage?

Thanks in advance,

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Where are you mailing from and where are you mailing to? There are certain restrictions regarding postal mailing of species of plants, and if you don't have the correct phytosanitary certificates, customs can open your package and destroy them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's say that i'm not planning on spending more money on papers than plants. Therefore i'm taking my risks on this. I was just curious to learn different ways on how to preserve them during a flight for example. I have already done this a couple of times but by using a piece of wet newspaper to protect plants, a little bit of water just to keep the paper always wet and put them in a ziplock bag.

I'm aware that they can confiscate them at the airport but i can always say that they are cooking herbs from a relative or something like that.

I understand that there are rules but since i'm not planning on making profit out of this and in my country it's kinda difficult to find nice looking species, so the only way i can get a nice looking tank is once every couple of years or so, make a trip and visit relatives and buy tons of aquarium stuff for my stash.... lol...

·
Registered
376 Posts
For really delicate plants, some polyfill wrapped around plants, then moistened works great. I've shipped a lot of plants this way in summer long distances (2-3 days) and they come out great. Just be prepared to have a fun chat with security/customs. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long will you say it's the longest period of time a plant can survive when shipped? for example, international shippment is usually between 7-14 days... do you think they can make it?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
how long will you say it's the longest period of time a plant can survive when shipped? for example, international shippment is usually between 7-14 days... do you think they can make it?
No. Plants can go up to 4 days without light before they begin to melt. More than 4 days without light and you'll have nothing but mush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts