The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to plug drilled tank?

5252 10
I just recently purchased a 90 gallon drilled tank for a steal of a price. Now, where I want to put it is on top of a very solid wood dresser and I need to figure out how to plug it.It is drilled through the bottom with a 1 3/4inch diameter.The problem is there is very little to no play at the bottom,so I need some genious ideas.I thought about bulkhead then pvc and cap off. Then thought about a uniseal then pvc then cap. I have never dealt with drilled tanks before, these ideas are only through some Google searches. Please help.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I used a thick piece of glass, and sealed it off with aquarium sealant.

never had any issues for the life of the tank (3 years)

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,339 Posts
What I would be worried about is what you are going to use as a stand. It may be sturdy. It may be very sturdy. But is it sturdy enough for 1000 pounds? A dresser isn't designed to hold that kind of weight.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If you haven't done it already get a 1/4 inch or 5/16 thick if not tempered sheet of glass cut at left an inch wider on each side of the hole and seal the entire sheet with rtv series silicone after cleaning the surfaces with acetone. Using the higher grade silicone gives prace of mind

At least not left, auto correct fun

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What I would be worried about is what you are going to use as a stand. It may be sturdy. It may be very sturdy. But is it sturdy enough for 1000 pounds? A dresser isn't designed to hold that kind of weight.
designed being the operative word here. The dresser may be solid wood, it may seem like it's bomb proof, may even weigh a couple hundred pounds itself. But the joints themselves may not be able to handle the forces being applied to them. Those joints are meant to keep a box together, not support half a ton.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Ditto the patch of glass for a glass tank, and silicone.

If it was acrylic, then use acrylic to patch it.

If one glass store thinks it odd that you need a piece of 1/4" thick glass about 4" square, then go to another one. Surely they have some broken shards that are near enough the right size, they don't have to cut into a new piece for this.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
To be exact, a 90 gallon aquarium weighs 160lbs when empty and 1050lbs when full of water. This does not take into account the added weight of substrate or hardscape.

Just something to consider.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Seems like a bulkhead and a plug or cap with teflon tape might be a good way to go.Get the double threaded bulkhead,with threads on the inside for a plug to fit into.It'd be simple and quick,though the plexiglass or glass might be cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.