The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some bacopa stems in my tank. They keep floating up. How can I plant them so that they dont float up?

·
Planted Tanker
5,975 Posts
What I do is pinch of the leaves that will be buried, leaving about 1/4 of the leaf (or less). That provides a nice little anchor without creating unnecessary organic waste.

Of course a lot depends on what kind of substrate you have, how deep it is, etc. Some types hold things down better than others.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also try to keep a little bit of leaf on stem as mentioned above then using tongs or tweezers I push into substrate and gentely wiggle tongs a little as I lift up to let substrate fill in around stem before I tottaly remove tongs it can deff get frustrating at times hang in there y'all get the knack that works for you lots of trial & error and fowl language lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I also try to keep a little bit of leaf on stem as mentioned above then using tongs or tweezers I push into substrate and gentely wiggle tongs a little as I lift up to let substrate fill in around stem before I tottaly remove tongs it can deff get frustrating at times hang in there y'all get the knack that works for you lots of trial & error and fowl language lol
This was very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
bacopa australis has very fragile stems and will snap easily. Ive had success with bacopa australis laying the stem down sideways and placing a few tiny slate chips on the stem to keep it in place. It will root at each node and each will start to grow upward creating a dense bush with just a few stems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Using Plant Anchors on Bacopa?

Hi! I plant my bacopa in stem by stem. Sometimes they float up. So i was thinking of using those bendable plant anchors and "squish" the bottom of the stem a bit for easy planting. Will that kill the plant?
Any tips or advice would help. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Bump:
Hi! I plant my bacopa in stem by stem. Sometimes they float up. So i was thinking of using those bendable plant anchors and "squish" the bottom of the stem a bit for easy planting. Will that kill the plant?
Any tips or advice would help. Thank you!
Don't use them. It won't kill the plant, but it will cause that portion to die. Those metal anchors are only for retailers usage.

With any stem plant pinch off a few of the bottom leaves then push the bare stem into the substrate. It's not complicated.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Some part what if the stems don't have leaves? I pinched away all the bad leaves
If some of the stems are leafless then all you need to do is push that stem into the substrate. It ain't complicated.
In some cases the stem may be leafless and in dying. In that case, remove that bad portion and pinch off leaves so there's a leafless stem.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
As mentioned earlier, you might just let it float a few days, and usually some roots will sprout that may make it easier. A lot depends on the substrate - smooth, even sand has less grip than bigger grains for example - shallow less than deep, etc. And if you have fish that root around in the substrate it is even harder.

Remember it doesn't have to go in straight, if your sand is really shallow, stick it in at a diagonal, the plant will eventually straighten up to the light and water flow.

But if you've excessively trimmed already - float it a while and get some roots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sounds good lin wood. I plan to float it. Then stick it down diagonally. My substrate is about 3-4 inches deep.

How long does it take for the roots to come in? I use eco complete as substrate.
Fortunately i dont have a crazy substrate digging fish.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Actually ecco complete and 3" seems like it ought to just work fine. I have that in a small tank only about 1". it's difficult to just push stems into it, but once in the kind of pointy gravel holds them well. I'm surprised it doesn't just work with the stem. Have you tried tweezers. Let them cover the stem (upside down) and push it an inch or so down, shake a bit, and back the tweezers out.

I don't know about that particular plant, but within a week you should be seeing something. But really -- I would think ecco complete would work well to hold it. I think you just need to practice a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts