The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get rid of some of my guppies and platies due to massive breeding. The problem is that I feel sorry for them. When I think about sending them off to a non planted tank, I cringe.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you get over it? Obviously, an over-stocked tank can be a disaster waiting to happen. I need help with my seperation anxiety!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm facing the same problem with my Endlers. Every couple of weeks I have 6 or 7 new fry in there. All you can do is try to find a good home and make sure the new owner knows how to care for them...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Have em for dinner?

J/K--but really, they are just fish and in nature they would most likely be another animal's dinner. That is the reason they have so many babies--most of them dont make it to adulthood in the wild so they have to flood the market-so to speak.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you have an aquarium club near you you should join and then bag them up and bring them to the auction. Think about it, if people are club members they are usually experienced hobbyist and will give your fish a good home. Don't expect to get very much for livebearers but you may find something else to get for a few dollars, a new plant perhaps.

Bruce

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No aquarium club here. The local fish store won't take them, and I don't have room for more tanks. If I had a bigger fish, I could have an endless supply of food, but I don't.

Strick - glad to hear there is another person out there with a similar problem.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Esteroali had her tank for "unwed platy mothers"... most people who have livebearers have your same problem LOL

Personally, my livebearer fry went to feed my Betta broods. Now I don't keep livebearers in my tanks for this very same reason (I'm also not raising Bettas these days...)

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Know how you feel sewingalot. Selling off the contents of my reef tank was not big deal until the day I sold my first fish. Some of the fish I had for over 5 years. I actually felt bad to let them go.

Just took my 2 angelfish to a LFS last friday, and it was hard. I had them for 5+ years as well.

It's tough, but it's easy to get over. Most people won't grieve over a fish for long. :icon_lol:

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha, ha! I read about the betta and put a bunch of fry in with him. He doesn't like them! :hihi: How long until he starts wanting to eat, I don't know. I found out a neighbor raises Oscars this morning, so I am going to ask if he want's some live food. Is this cruel?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I find it hard to believe that there is no club near you. I have been to Huntington WV and Ohio and Kentucky are only a short drive over a bridge and i know there have got to be clubs in those states. Hmmm...

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I would talk to your neighbor! You might even be able to make a few bucks! I have a buddy that has the same problem. He started a Barb tank and now has a constant supply of food for his Barbs. Mostly Tiger Barbs. They are the biggest and most colorful Tigers I have ever seen! He also feeds them brine cubes but I'm sure the guppies help allot!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.