The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 10 gallon tanks with RC shrimp and some amano's...I want to move them all to a 29 gallon....
I have pulled out all the moss and plant material so the tanks are just substrate and shrimp...

question:
what is the best way to move the little buggers? Net em? syphon em?

I want them to have a bigger and better home but don't want to spend all day with a magnifying glass and a brine net...

thank you

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I've always had luck with a net, but I can only speak for myself. I know I personally wouldn't just syphon them out because that causes undue stress.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
net it is.....I'll go do one of the tanks and check back to see if someone has another idea...

thank you

·
Registered
316 Posts
Net as many as you can. Chances are you will not be able to get them all. After that, net them into a buck and then just pick them out. I've had to do this during water changes when one sneaks through.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow...I'm back, I think that was about an hour of netting and I am probably half done..
one tank has a smallish pebble substrate and the other is sand...the sand is way easier on the netting....all those small rocks, I will never get them all out of there...

I think I will net as many as I can, keep lowering the water, and eventually I will have to either strain them or syphon them....I'll post after I am done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could try a trap made out of an empty water bottle with some of whatever they like to eat in it. Here is a thread with information on making the trap, if you haven't seen one. It takes a while for them to get into the bottle but you can remove a good bunch that way. :smile:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well they are moved to a new home. That was more work than I wanted it to be. I netted all I could and then syphoned the rest through nylon net.....most made it some chose to not cooperate...I estimate I got 99% of them....

10's are rinsed and stacked, equipment is racked and the "fish room" is ready to have the 72 bow moved from the work bench to the teacher desk against the other wall and the 80 will come downstairs to the workbench....

happy labor day!
sheeeeeesh

·
Registered
316 Posts
For future reference or anyone else wanting to catch their shrimp, a trap will be a lot easier especially in a densely planted tank. You just need a bottle and bait, then let them come to you.

Shrimp Trap - Planet Inverts
YouTube video
Good point. I hadn't thought about it, but I'll frequently throw in some veggie slices and they all swarm to it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what percentage can you hope to trap in a bottle?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
For future reference or anyone else wanting to catch their shrimp, a trap will be a lot easier especially in a densely planted tank. You just need a bottle and bait, then let them come to you.

YouTube video
Gatorade bottles are not reccomended for shrimp traps only bottles like 2L bottles with smooth sides so there are no grooves when you reverse the top so shrimp can't get in... Also just a containor with some type of larger mesh over the top can work. Also... Ryan's been banned please try not to reference his garbage.

what percentage can you hope to trap in a bottle?
A large percentage. Don't feed the week before then pop it in. Over night you'd be surprised how many get in. Repeat once or twice and then net out the possible few remainders. Yet its much easier to use this for the majority of the shrimp. then to fine pick the remaining shrimp with a net.

-Andrew
ps. highlight over also if you want to read more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts