The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will be moving from FL to MD in about 2 weeks. We will be driving up there which means 14hours strait maybe even with an overnight stay.
I will be moving with my 3y/o daughter, a cat and 3 tanks :eek5: !
30G and 10G community tanks and a 20G shellie tank.

My idea is to try and catch as many fish as possible, drain the tanks with about 1 inch of water remaining and move the filter in a wet bag.

Now my questions:
Will I need to bag all the fish or can I transport them in a container? How many fish can be together in a container? Which ones have worked for you without spilling any water?

If I do the containers: do I fill them up all the way to avoid too much waves? Do I need some kind of aeration or can I just put some floating plants in with the fish?

Should I take fresh water or tank water for the containers?

Is there anything else I need to be concerned about over such a long move?

What other than patience can I do to avoid the fish getting killed from ammonia/nitrite spike in their new location?

I would be very grateful for any advice I can get from someone, who has done this before.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ive moved fish in coolers. And you can use a power inverter to run an air pump. And I picked up some big old ozarka bottles and took most of the water with me. And if you can re use your old water and filters it will be like they never moved. And if you drive straight through, 14 hours isnt that long really. Think of the fish getting shipped cross country in foam boxes, they dont have nearly as much help as you could give them yourself in the move.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bagging fish keeps them from getting slammed around in a big container. You'd be better off to have 5 one gallon bags in a 5 gallon container, rather than 1 five gallon bag. Easier on the fish. Also if you bag the fish and water, you don't have to worry about spilling or leaking container lids. Bring as much of the existing water as is reasonable, 30% or more, keep the substrate wet, put the filter media in tank water. Don't feed your fish for a couple days prior. Do a water change the day before too. I don't envy your move. I did it with an 86, a 32 and a 15. Ugh. Bought 6 big 20gallon rubbermaid bins and used lots of XL ziploc bags.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your ideas. I also thought of the water change just a day before so the water is as clean as possible.
With the ziplock bags: is that for the extra water or can I transport fish in them? I don't have any breather bags and it would be great if I can just use regular bags. Will they have enough oxygen? Do I need bag buddies?
I have never done shipping fish before but really don't want to give up my fish ( as my husband wants me to :icon_frow )
Any more advice??

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've not used breather bags. I used ziplocs both for the fish, and the extra water. I used the extra water to dilute the now dirty fish bag water, in the new set-up .The biggest issue you may face is the fact that the water in your new town may vary drastically from the water you currently have, which is why you want to make the change as gradual as possible. I filled the biggest ziplocs I could find about 3/4 full, then laid them flat in the bins so there was more surface area for o2 for the fish. Also, if you're stopping overnight, bring an air pump with you, and open the bags when you stop and drop an airstone in them for a while. I did a 12 hour move with no ill effects, biggest fish was a 9 inch common plec, he got a special bag about 5 gallons from my lfs. Rest were otos, boesmanis, sae's, glass cats, frogs, cories, amanos, the only ones I lost were the frogs about 2 weeks after the move, apparently the new water didn't agree with them.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Yup it can be done with little loss. When I have guppies sent from all over the country you would flip if you saw how little water is used for a 2 sometimes 3 day trip. Sick lid is right on with the info. Many do other ways so I found a few links so you can see what works for you. DO NOT blow into the baggies with the fish it in as some think oh Ill help with putting air in the bag. We give off a negative amount of something that would kill the fish. You can do this as many have. I have had fish in a bag for 3 days and no problem. Let us know how you do.
http://search.comcast.net/?cat=Web&con=homepage&q=moving+aquarium+fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts