The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17.1 gallon tank, heavily planted, with 9x harlequin rasboras, 7x celestial pearl danios, and 10x Amano shrimp. Before I added the fish, I could usually see 7-8 shrimp doing their thing. Since adding the fish, I only see 1-3 at most, usually none. The CSPs are still pretty shy too so the harlequins get most of the food. Here's what I've been feeding:

Xtreme nano pellets in the morning -- the HR seem to like more than the CSPs, although the CSPs will eat it if they can get any. When I drop the food in in small batches the HRs get almost all of it. When I try larger batches, there is a lot of wasted food but the CSPs will get a bite or two.
Fluval spirulina bug bites in the evening -- the HR like it, the CSPs barely touch it.
Sera shrimp pellets -- drop 3-4 in every other day for the Amanos. I've been having to take uneaten food out.
Cucumber slice -- didn't really get touched by the shrimp so I removed after a few hours.

Any suggestions on how to get the CSPs and Amanos more food?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have 9 HRs in a planted 10g. I use a feeding ring, and feed .5mm floating pellets. I do one very, very small pinch, followed by another very small pinch once they've cleared out what's in the ring. I have found that the HRs that have eaten enough will longer hang around the feeding ring. Maybe if you do it this way, the HRs will eventually give the CPDs a "turn". You can also do what I did initially and drop a pinch in the feeding ring for the HRs, then place/sink some food opposite the feeding ring to give the other tank inhabitants a chance to go for food without having to compete with the HRs.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I always feed on 2 sides of the tank with assorted fish in aquarium. This typically ensures that the fastest fish will eat the first side of food dropped and the slower fish will have time to go to the second drop.
Also, feed 2-3 small feedings daily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't have any experience with HRs and CPDs, but I have been having some similar concerns lately in 20g with nine medium-sized tetras (pristella + bentosi) and two small gouramis (chocolate). I have been having success feeding 2-3 times a day in different locations, including where I know the gouramis hang out. But they do have their own space and don't seem too bothered by the tetras. How do the CPDs eat? Do they only eat from the water column or do they also "peck" food off leaves + substrate? As folks are suggesting, see if you can get food to them in some other part of the aquarium?

As for the amanos, they'll be combing biofilm, aufwuchs, and dropped food in the tank regardless of what you add for them. I'd suggest leaving the shrimp pellets in until they finish them, perhaps lessening the frequency. I've had good success with GlasGarten shrimp foods, which are a bit pricey. Blanched vegetables you can leave for 24-48 hours before removing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the armano going hungry - they'll find food irrespective of what you add for them. Also they feed pretty much 24 hours solid so will happy be foraging away overnight when the fish are less active. Maybe try adding a little shrimp food after lights out so the fish miss it and the shrimp have all night to find and eat it? When they get bigger they'll get more confident and will probably start being more aggressive when it comes to claiming food from the fish!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.