The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be cool to see them flower..

And I just saw a pbs show on plants and they did genetic tests on all plants.. It turns out lilies & lotus are not related at all.. The closest plant related to the lotus is the sycamore tree... weird huh?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Put them outside. Ohio has warm enough nights all summer to make tropical Nymphaea bloom well. Something like a halfbarrel would work well, in at least partial sun.

My favorite thing to do with a Nymphoides (Banana Plant) it put it out for the Summer, enjoy all the mini waterlily looking pads and fun fragrant fringed flowers on them, then collect all the "banana" bunches under each leaf in the Fall.

(Edit- "Tiger Lotus" is actually not a lotus, it's a waterlily. regular waterlily soil or sandy garden soil with pond plant fert. tabs works well with them. I've only had these or other aquarium Nymphaea bloom outside, in a pool in sunshine, though I've heard of them blooming under very high light with a nearby sunny window. My last flowers were in a recycling bin lined with plastic... not beautiful but it worked great!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts