The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to make java moss into a carpet?

38K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CL 
#1 ·
Okay, Well, I have a peice of driftwood in my ten gallon tank. And I'm trying to get java moss to attacht to it. I have a sand substrate, and a whole lot of java moss left over, because I ordered it. So, I was wondering how to make it into a carpet for my tank. I know java moss isn't the best for carpeting, but its all I have, because its a low-light tank. Does anybody know how I can accomplish this. :)

#2 ·
Here you can try doing a moss wall but instead of attaching it to the wall put it on the substrate and hold it down with something.

http://www.aquamoss.net/How to create a moss wall/How to create a moss wall.htmou

Also if you go to ebay look up store aquaticmagic they got some tips on how to make a moss carpet. Actually here is a link and just scroll down.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQM-Plant-Net-A...h=item250407905450&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
I'm sure it will work with java moss as well.

Hope that helps :)

#4 ·
Buy two sheets of plastic canvas (available where craft supplies are sold) and sandwich the threads of moss in between them. Stitch the edges closed, or use a few plastic ties. If you want to use it for a wall, you'll need to cut holes in the plastic so you can put suction cups through it.

Try a search for moss wall and you'll see some nice examples. Good luck!

-Amy

#7 ·
Tie the moss to little pieces of slate. Here are some of my old ones:

A very old tank of mine, Not a carpet, but same method:
I know this is old, but your tanks are my inspiration for a small tank I'm working on. I was wondering how the anubias were clustered like this? I really want to do a little carpet of moss, and a cluster of anubias raised up in a mound like this.

Any response is appreciated! And thanks for the links funkyfish, a search brought me to this super helpful thread that I'd like to keep going, instead of just posting new.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.