The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. My goldfish tank is slightly overstocked and 2 water changes a week is annoying as well as the algea that gets on my eloda. So, I ask, how can I set the water ablaze with green water so i don't have to do water changes as much? once a week would be great.

I think I will like the look with goldfish tank.. it looks like a pond already so...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
you WANT green water? Well I've never had green water, so I can't recommend you anything, but people say high lights, too much ferts and not enough plants will do the trick. Also what people do for Daphnia culturing of green water is that they get a bucket of water, put Plant fertilizer in it under direct sunlight, and viola, green water.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am thinking that the greenwater would suck all his waste products enough that he can live with one water change every week.

That's his ultimate goal. LESS water changes, not none.

But I think weekly water changes will gradually kill greenwater... Just get rid of some gold fish or get another tank!!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
So, I ask, how can I set the water ablaze with green water so i don't have to do water changes as much? once a week would be great.
Get rid of some fish.

You can't expect the GW to eat up your waste. And you can't control it "once a week". If you could, there'd be no posts regarding "Oh now! GREEN WATER FOR 5 MONTHS!" =)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Actually, I was wondering how to make greenwater myself. It's actually EXCELLENT to raise fish fry in. I've heard taking some grass clippings (no ferts or pesticides obviously) and leaving them in a jar on a north facing window will cultivate green water, but I've never tried that.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Actually, I was wondering how to make greenwater myself. It's actually EXCELLENT to raise fish fry in. I've heard taking some grass clippings (no ferts or pesticides obviously) and leaving them in a jar on a north facing window will cultivate green water, but I've never tried that.

Well....I had fish tanks. Then I put a Tek light over them. I accidentally stirred up my substrate. Two days later, green water. Not just mild green water, but green water that had a 2" visibility. Just recently cleared it up with a diatom filter.

What I recommend, from my experience, is to get a bunch of mulm from your tank, a few plants, and lots of sunlight.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
That does work actually.
I've used plant clippings from a tank and done this.
The best way is to toss a Jobes stick in a jar or water, and add that to full sunlight and warmer temps.

Wait 2-5 days.

But.........GW will not prevent nor reduce water changes, floating water sprite etc will do better or a plant filter external to the tank will do much better.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That does work actually.
I've used plant clippings from a tank and done this.
The best way is to toss a Jobes stick in a jar or water, and add that to full sunlight and warmer temps.

Wait 2-5 days.

Regards,
Tom Barr
I'll give that a try next time my fish are about to give birth/lay eggs.

How would one go about raising the fry with this? Could the GW from the jar just be added straight to the tank the fry are in as needed? Or would this cause GW in the fry tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts