The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. The ph in my new 46 gallon tank is 7.6 After looking at the ph/kh/co2 chart, it looks like I will need to lower my ph if I want Co2 to stay suspended in the water. I have a large piece of malaysian driftwood on the way. How much can I expect this to lower my ph?
The other thing is I am wondering if my test kit is reading wrong. My wife works in the same city as we live and she uses a ph meter on their water daily. This ph meter is calibrated 3 days a week. She said it has been reading at 8.0 or higher.
So if the driftwood doesn't lower it to a more reasonable level, is it baking soda I add to reduce ph?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Take a few minutes and read my Guide.

Baking soda will raise both the pH and the kH.

You don't add anything to lower the pH. CO2 will lower the pH. Using an acid to artificially lower the pH doesn't add CO2.

You need to understand water chemistry before you go messing with it.

Also you can take a look at my FAQ.

The most important thing to understand is: If you are not adding CO2 then you only have about 3 ppm. No matter what the pH/kH/CO2 chart shows.

That chart is based on the idea that the only buffers in the water are bicarbonates and the only thing that lowers the pH is CO2.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey, Rex.

I tried sending you a PM but your all full so ill ask you here.

Do you ship regulators to canada? and how much would it be if you do

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.