The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK PLEASE DONT FLAME ME WITH USE THE SEARCH.
I tried and PH is tooo short of a term to search for and ive spent some time here looking already. I know its a very numb question but i finally bought a master kit for testing water and in my cherry tank the ph is at 8.4 prob not good huh and why they havent breed. How do i drop the PH is it mearly by more water changes. I only have been adding water to it and not taking any out. Is this the prob. THanks for the help

DK

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If your tap water is high pH then water changes will do no good. If your source water is lower than the tank then it will. But then you need to figure out why the tank water is so high.

I can see one problem. When you top off a tank with tap water you will cause the water in the tank to get harder and harder. The water evaporates and leaves behind the minerals. You and more water and the same thing happens.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Get yourself an RO unit. It'll remove most of the buffers that keep your ph high which I feel is better than adding more chemicals to lower it. It will also allow you to adjust your water parameters so you can keep and/or spawn virtually any freshwater species. The last time I looked you could get one off Ebay for around $99 and they only take a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THe tap waer tests at around 7.4 and the tank size is only 10g.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Does that tank have any big rocks in it, or gravel that you haven't tested with acid? Many rocks have a lot of calcium carbonate in them, which slowly dissolves, increasing the hardness, and thus the pH.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok yes there were some rocks inside that i removed aslo what about dead snail shells could those alter the ph at all>?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you'd have to have ALOT of snail shells to mess up your PH. But yeah they could. they are basically pure calcium. Crushed coral if you have that in your substrate that will def raise the PH. Or any kind of limestone deco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts