The Planted Tank Forum banner

How to lower GH/ tank issues

14436 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  klawfran3
Hi there,
I recently set up what I wanted to be a planted 20 g blackwater riparium. I took a PH, GH, and KH test. Ph is 7.4 (I'll be lowering that with catappa leaves and detritus) which I know is a little high, but the KH is 2 and the GH is 12! my city tap water is GH 9 so I know my tank is probably raising it (using sand and rocks, those are definitely a factor) but even still the GH is way too high for the tank. I'm planning on adding neons to it. How do I go about lowering it? I know RO and distilled are the ways most use but I don't really have access to that for cheap at all. I heard the API water softening pillows would do this? I can top off the tank evaporation with distilled water since that's not too expensive (and will help reduce the amount of waterchanges since the GH won't raise as quick) but a full waterchange/ whole tank full of distilled will be a good bit of money for me. Would the almond leaves I'm putting in reduce the GH too? I'm frustrated because the GH is so unbelievebly high and I can't find much to solve my problem.

Also off topic but the water is cloudy even though it's been set up a few days which is making me a bit uncomfortable too, since usually anything in it that is floating should have settled by now. I am not dosing ammonia or anything and have added a whole mature filter sponge to it so I know it's not in the middle of a cycle. Waterchanges don't seem to help with it either which is annoying as hell.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Not what you're going to want to hear but for a true blackwater tank you really need at least RO. You'll never get the water acidic enough with your tap unfortunately. You can get cheap ro systems from pure water club that work well. Maybe 65 bucks or so. I'm actually setting up a 48g amazon blackwater tank now myself and have some a lot of research lately.

All the leaves in the world and peat won't be enough to make that high of a gh acidic. Know your tds also?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.