The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its taken three years ( my first near plant tank and 240 gallon size with window sun) But now I guess I see the light and can tell you the bottom line. Large weekly water changes- always a good thing,never bad,no arguments against that really work. Two..stir things like the bed up..use a bamboo stick,palm frond stem-lol,like I do. Lightly..just not too deep and close to the plants, Three- the big one. Wash that prefilter every week. I have 5 gallons of floss over scrubbers ( that I never wash) in my home made filter. It actually doesn't take that much time if done religiously. Skip for a few weeks and it can turn black in the washing..but every week? It's not hard to get that to coffee and much cream..no need for it to run clear. Forget that. Besides it also stays as a bio filter when not thrown out or over washed.
The last? Little fish and as least as possible. If your standards are zero algae and fast plant growth?..learn to keep cardinals or those tiny Rasboras.
I went with Rainbows,loaches and Danio's at the start and let me tell you bozzys get to be sizable fish..same for Queen Botia..both usually seen in media as young fish. I could probably have a pristine tank- with sunlight streaming down..with less fish.
But they are now large and pets and so be it. Don't do as I do in that regard!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Btw, NEVER starve or underfeed your fish to make up for your efforts or filters. It's not why we keep fish.

Also..be very careful with Hydrogen Peroxide. I was once a champion of it too! But later comes the real damage to plants and fish. Really, use a scrub brush and my other dogma-lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.