The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running pressurized CO2 for about a month now and my tank pressure is still holding approx 900psi, how will I know when it starts to run low? I'm assuming the tank pressure will decease; just before a spike in tank pressure prior to emptying, correct? I'm running single stage Aquatek regulator. Thanks.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I've been running pressurized CO2 for about a month now and my tank pressure is still holding approx 900psi, how will I know when it starts to run low? I'm assuming the tank pressure will decease; just before a spike in tank pressure prior to emptying, correct? I'm running single stage Aquatek regulator. Thanks.
There will not be a spike in tank pressure. It will remain at 750-900 psi and then start to drop. Once it drops, you want to keep an eye on it and plan on refilling soon. When it gets to 400 or so psi, there is not much CO2 left, time to refill. How long exactly it takes from "starting to drop" to "empty" depends of course on the size of the tank and the volume that is being used, in my case about 10 days.

What "spikes" or goes up is the low pressure side after the regulator does its thing. Normally around 20-40 psi, it will creep higher as the high pressure drops. If you have your CO2 injection maxxed out (just keeping fish from suffocating) then this rise might put it over the brink.

My last tank started to get empty just before TG holidays, and I ended up emptying it out before having a chance to refill it. I kept a very close eye on it, dialing the low pressure back when it started to rise, and just so made it until I could go and get it refilled.

Now every regulator behaves a bit different... for single stage regs, you want to monitor real closely to dial things back once the regulator starts to "misbehave" and the bubbles start to speed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.