The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have pond snails in my tank. i just broke it down completely and have my java moss in a bucket with an air stone. i also have the biological filter pad thing taken out of my hob and i put it in the bucket with the air stone bubbling through it. i am hoping that might keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

i am wondering if there is anything that i can put in the water that will kill the snails and snail eggs and keep the plants and hopefully the bacteria alive. if the bacteria die then oh well, i will just cycle the tank again. the fish are in my other tank and they are fine.

will the moss be ok for a while in the bucket without a heater?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have read that snail populations don't always go down with less feeding. i don't think that i over feed. i feed only a small amount once a day. i really cut the feeding down a few months ago because i thought that was what was causing the problems. it didn't help and then i read that it doesn't always help. :(

i believe i have bladder snails actually, not pond snails.

i have been doing some reading and it seems that any chemical means to get rid of the snails will mess other things up. i guess i am stuck with them :(

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Get some Red claw macro...Interesting shrimp to have in tank+ to take control of snails.

·
Registered
141 Posts
kind of drastic
you can put a chain loach in
or you could put a slice of cucumber or zuchinni in overnight (repetitively) they will flock to it and you can pull it out in the morning along with the snails (you will have to weight it down or get a veggie clip)
i hear you can salt them but i have little knowledge of such matters

·
Registered
531 Posts
They'll definitely go down if they have less to eat. It may not be as satisfyingly rapid as nuking them with something however. ;-)

Msjinkzd has some chain loaches (botia) which are very neat and eat snails. Won't bother big snails like nerites however. Just saw them today on a roadtrip!

Jim

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get some Red claw macro...Interesting shrimp to have in tank+ to take control of snails.
i would LOVE to! i can't seem to find any anywhere. do you know of anyone who will ship to rural newfoundland?

kind of drastic
you can put a chain loach in
or you could put a slice of cucumber or zuchinni in overnight (repetitively) they will flock to it and you can pull it out in the morning along with the snails (you will have to weight it down or get a veggie clip)
i hear you can salt them but i have little knowledge of such matters
i was thinking about zebra loaches. i have been waiting for my lfs to get them in. until recently i have had amano shrimp in my tank. i have moved them to my other tank (well, everyone is there now, but i am keeping my shrimp in the other tank when i set this one up again) now so i think i will get some for sure when this one gets set up again. i know there are going to be millions of shrimp eggs in the moss, even if i wash it a thousand times.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't know much about the snails but I know some will make some kind of dip for the plants before they put them in a tank so they don't get a snail infestations but I don't know what's in the dip or what plants it can be used on so hopefully maybe someone will post about that too. And the java moss will probably be just fine with no light and such. I had left some in a different tank with no light, filter and air stone and it was just fine for several months. Good luck with the snails.

·
Registered
728 Posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plants/145058-dip-snail-annihilation.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/144840-best-way-get-rid-snails.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plants/143010-cleaning-plants.html

Here's a few threads about what people use for ridding snails. Make sure what ever you use that it doesn't have copper if you have shrimp.

I went with the clown loach when I had that problem and then gave him back to the store when he was done. Really hated those dang snails. lol

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
There is one deworming medication, Flubendazole, that supposedly wipes out snails with no negative side effects. I have not tried it myself.

The things that I've used:

1) Manual removal, either by hand or using bait.
2) Adding more snails of a more desirable (and less profilic) species, to compete for the food supply of a less desirable species. My current favorite is Red Ramshorns.
3) Loaches. I have a weather loach that will rapidly eliminate every bladder snail in any tank I move her to. She'll eat some of the Ramshorns too, but doesn't wipe them out; which is good since I want those.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think Zebras will have much effect on snails. Chains (botia) will.

Jim
yeah, it was chain loaches i was looking into... :redface: i mixed them up.

thanks for all the help guys. i will have to wait until next weekend before i can do much work on the tank. school starts again tomorrow... :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
In my pleco tanks, I use a fork to hold the zucchini down. I use that to crunch up a few snails when I add fresh food. That recycles the snails and avoids the possibility of an infection from cutting a finger. That and wiping down the inside of the glass to remove eggs keeps the population down. The remaining snails help clean up the mess as plecos are sloppy eaters.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
someone once told me that crushing snails in the tank releases toxins into the tank. i don't know how educated on this sort of thing he was...

i tried picking them all out every time i saw them but the whole bottom of my tank was covered in java moss and there for there were millions of places for the snails to lay eggs that i couldn't see. :(

i was actually wondering about the calcium in the tank. i was wondering about all the snails using all the calcium and not leaving anything for the shrimp. my shrimp were doing well and molting and everything and then all of a sudden they stopped molting as much and one of them disappeared. :( can too many snails in a tank be detrimental to shrimp?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.