The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I woke up an hour ago and I just got my Blyxa in the mail. I have a very low substrate, about 1.5", and it's real hard to keep plants from staying a float. I brainstormed of ways to keep this darn Blyxa down and I found one way that worked wonders. If others have already thought of this, than congrats to you, you're smarter than me :p (Blyxa was provided by dewalltheway)

This is just a short little tip that might help others

No camera so here's the poor college kids way to do it, webcam :D

I found vinyl tubing to work best

Cut a piece of vinyl tubing out and stick it from the bottom until it's snug

Now depending on how many stems you picked, it may be very skinny, so then get another piece of vinyl tubing, cut a slot in in, then over lap it so it's smaller and stick it inside the first piece

You can repeat this till the stem won't come apart with the vinyl tubing

Then, I used another piece, made a slot, then started adding it around the first full piece, for added weight. I continued this until it was hefty enough so it sunk

I know the pictures are crap but it shows enough of what I did :proud:

Now if anyone has any better ways then tell me, because this seemed to have worked perfectly. Also if anyone has ways to plant pennywort, then do say also, as I'm having lot's of trouble with that

·
Registered
132 Posts
im afraid plant sinkers leach stuff into water especialy if there made of lead!!! i did hear somthing about stainless steel screws that maybe the ticket.... i just keep replating

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can buy plumbers solder, the solid lead-free type, not the type with a flux core, and use a hammer to pound a piece thin to make your own plant weights. I found this works, but the weights aren't as dense as lead, so they aren't quite as effective.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wish I had this problem with Blyxa. My problem is every blyxa plant I got melted away to nothing on me.
Did it melt to completely nothing at all? I put 3 plants in my tank with good light and co2. It mostly melted, but I had growth out of the very tips. I was able to take and plant those. From that I now have 6 plants about 3-4" tall after about three weeks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Did it melt to completely nothing at all? I put 3 plants in my tank with good light and co2. It mostly melted, but I had growth out of the very tips. I was able to take and plant those. From that I now have 6 plants about 3-4" tall after about three weeks.
Well, in my 10g at work, its completely gone. I have a few in a 20g holding/grow out tank at home that are only just barely there, and going downhill daily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts