The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Eheim 2217 on my 55g. I have the spraybar installed on the end of the tank so the current can flow the length of the tank. Evidently what happens is the current flows across the tank, hits the far end, then turns downward and comes back across the bottom of tank in the opposite direction. All my stem plants are pretty much just bending completely over almost touching the substrate. How do you get around this problem?

·
Registered
304 Posts
you can angle the spray bar from the back glass to the front glass to where it hits the substrate/carpet and comes back up pushing your stems towards the top of the tank.

You can move your stems.

you can switch out the spray bar.

you can place the spray bar at the water line or above it.

you can by a matching canister and set the spray bar up on opposing sides and have the current meet in the middle (boom current explosion?)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
or you can just turn it off... lol that seems to work 100% of the time... but i just use a sponge over the outlet to keep the flow low enough it doesnt throw my plants around

P.S. has anyone used the "unplugging" of the filter method to stop plant bending? just wanted to know how long till the tank got dirty thats all =P

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Reposition it and you likely can solve your problem I had mine with stems up to the top, angled it may 15 degree's upwards from horizontal from the water line. If that doesn't work, enlarge the holes a bit.

This is one place I really like lily pipes, you can put your outflow on the front of the tank where you likely wouldn't have tall stems. If you don't want to invest in that, Eheim makes a plastic one for cheap that really does the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts