The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought 20 CRS for my 10 gallon little over 2 months I keep finding shrimp fallen behind the tank.

I know can only count about 13. I never find dead shrimp in the tank they just climb out I guess.
Tds 95
Gh 5
Kh 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 6.6
Nitrate 5ish.
Temp 70-72.
Running dual sponge for filter. I drip change 25% every other week for water change.

Tank is rimless and it's a out 1/4 inch from top. Is it too full? I removed some water to see if that's the issue it's now 1/2 from top.

I'm feeding 1 to 2 times a week using a mixture of shrimp king foods.

All in all the shrimp left look to be growing no baby's yet but they are noticably larger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jumping shrimp are more common than you would think. In addtion to Zoidburg's comment sometimes something spooks them and they accidently launch themselves outside the tank. I lid would be a safe bet. Also, in my experience (no real data points here) I find shrimp jumping out more in my smaller tanks than my larger one. Don't have an explanation; just an observation.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
I will be setting up a 10 gallon shrimp tank only without a lid but it's rimmed, will jumping shrimp be a problem?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything else in the tank besides the shrimp?

You may need a lid. They'll sometimes crawl out via a heater cord (shouldn't be necessary for shrimp), airline hose or via the filter.
Nothing else in the tank. There is a heater and airline.

It will drop to prolly 64 without a heater. What are options for a lid are there screens I could get? When summer comes I'll need the evaporation to keep the tank cool.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
64° should be fine for the shrimp.... they are slow growers to begin with.
Really? There's a lot of different info out there. Every place I check gives me a different temp parameters.
The site of bought them at says 75. Others say 70 to 78. So confusing what to believe.

I have the heater/fan plugged into a inkbird controller set to 72. My thermometer reads 70. Not sure which to believe. I was to believe consistent temperature was best.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Although shrimp do best with stable parameters, if the tank they are in is large enough, a heater is not necessary.

I used to live somewhere where if no one was home, no heat or A/C would be on. As soon as someone got home, those would be put on (depending on time of year) on full blast... so temps would change quite drastically. I was afraid that that would cause an issue with the tanks and used heaters. Finally just removed them and no issues! Tanks are currently somewhere with more stable temps. Still no heater.

Now, that's not likely to cause your shrimp to jump out, I don't think... but it shouldn't hurt to remove the heater either. You can always put it back in if you see a negative response to removing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.