The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I am planning to set up a new tank in the next few weeks (coming back to aquascaping after 10+ years) and last week I was traveling, checked some stores and purchased some plants (not many aquarium stores in my area), so the question is, how to keep them alive in the next few weeks while I get everything set up?

I keep them in small containers with water in their pots, but the water is getting cold at night and there is no circulation, so I change it every day with lukewarm water. I also have a 10W LED flood light 1ft above, but they started dying (loosing some leaves)

The plants are:
Hemianthus callitrichoides baby tears
Micranthemum monte carlo
Dwarf hairgrass
Java fern

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Don't bother changing the water every day unless the water is getting down to the 50s. If it is then find a better place to keep them. So long as its above 60 degrees they will be ok. That said the monte carlo and the baby tears are both notoriously difficult to keep alive without co2. I would lower the water level till its just touching the tops of those plants and move the others around or into other containers as needed. The closer water level will give them better access to atmospheric co2 without letting them dry out or start to transition to emersed growth. Still you might lose them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, those are the ones I want to keep the most, I can't find them in my local stores. I do have a CO2 tank and a regulator with bubble counter, only need a diffuser. The water temp drops in the low 60s at night as I turn off the heating. I keep them in individual containers. I was thinking to put some potting soil in a larger container and plant them temporarily, add a recirculation pump as well, not sure if that's necessary. Do you think they will be fine if I just start injecting CO2 or do I need fertilizers as well?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts