The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i live in California and it is starting to get really hot and my tank gets about 85 some times and i am having a hard time keeping my tank cool... Is there anything i can make to keep my tak cool that is cheap because i dont want to spent 300 on a chiller or stuff like that i have one ehime canister filter laying around. Can i make something out of that to keep me tank cool?
post stuff i can make to keep cool pls someone help me, and post how you keep your tank(s) cool in the summer...:help: :help:

·
Registered
47 Posts
evap

evaporative cooing is a good cost effective way to cool your aquarium.
i place a mini cooling fan on top of my aquarium glass at night and cool it down 78 degrees the i let itheat up to 81 durin the day.
all you have to do is blow air over your aquarium water and the evaporation will cool the water .it does not make a difference if you are blowing warm air
over the water it will cool.also try to leave your tank open the glass covers keep the heat in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my nano tank hood, there are 2 built in computer fan openings, Should i have the fans sucking air from room and blowing into the tank, or should i have them reversed where the fans are sucking air from inside tank, and blowing it out into the room?

·
Registered
674 Posts
the only problem with evaoprative cooling is that itll only get as cold as the air around it...so if the air is hot its not going to make a huge dent. it is the cheapest method though

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Turn your A/C down lower than 85*.:icon_wink :hihi:

Tommy

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
In my experience, fans blowing across the water only lower the water temperature back down near room temperature, thereby defeating whatever extra heat your lighting gives off. so if the ambient room temperature is regularly kept over 80°F a fan won't make much of a difference, only a chiller will. Personally, I use a fan to defeat the 5°F water temperature rise my 2x65w lighting generates, and during the summertime I keep the room A/C around 76°F so me and my fish are rarely stressed.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
On my nano tank hood, there are 2 built in computer fan openings, Should i have the fans sucking air from room and blowing into the tank, or should i have them reversed where the fans are sucking air from inside tank, and blowing it out into the room?
I would put one sucking into the hood and one blowing out... that way you get a good current of air flow.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Turn your A/C down lower than 85*.:icon_wink :hihi:

Tommy
Great advice........... if you have an Air Conditioner.

I live in Denver, and none of the older houses here were built with A/C (and not many of the new ones). Was fine when the temps never got over 90, but last summer it was in the 100's for most of a month.

I guess I will recomend what I am going to have to do.......

Get a portable A/C unit and move all the fish into the living-room.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ah, I am plagued with the same problem. No A/C either. :( If ya got a HOB filter available, you can place some ice packs in it and it will cool down the tank. I do this. You could also float some plastic bottles filled with frozen aquarium water. This works too, but it's bulky in the tank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There's a thread somewhere about making a chiller out of a small fridge. Essentially, drill two holes in the fridge big enough for your hose. Run the hose into the fridge and coil the hose a few times inside it. You want the water to be inside the fridge long enough to cool it. Then run the hose out the other hole back to the tank. Put some silicone around the holes to seal them. You could do this off the return on your canister filter, though your water flow may be decreased too much. Or you could run it off a separate powerhead/pump. If you wanted to get really fancy you could put bulkheads on the fridge for connecting up your hose.

To top it off, you now have a fridge to fill up with beer.

I make no claims as to how well this works. Just passing along something I read about.

David

·
Registered
420 Posts
NoObLet , how many gallons is your tank?

For my nanos, I usually make my fish some ice cubes out of conditioned water :biggrin:

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
making a chiller out of a fridge is a waste of time because the fridge is not meant to run 24/7 to keep the water cooler--the compressor will die. also its kind of huge and bulky.

Use a mini fridge its 100 bucks and it has a freezer loop some of the coils in the freezer much better than a reg fridge. :)
oop i meant a mini fridge; i thought about using one when i wanted to water cool my computer =p

·
Registered
362 Posts
I freeze water bottles and float them in the tank. I ussually have about 6 bottles (16 oz each) rotating from the tank to the freezer when it's really hot.

Cheers, Whitepine

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oop i meant a mini fridge; i thought about using one when i wanted to water cool my computer =p
hay my computer is water cooled

sorry for the off topic...
but yeah i am going to go to the computer store and buy some fans and fit it on my tank some how and yeah i might buy that thing on ebay..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.