The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like those plants that grow from bulbs (aponogeton, I believe) that you can get from Petsmart or Walmart. Anyways, I've read that they die away seasonally and I've had that happen to me. I had three or four full grown aponogetons grown from the bulb but they melted pretty quickly at one point. How can I prevent this from happening next time?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
How do you keep a dog from shedding in the spring? :hihi:

Some apons do die back seasonally (but not all of them), and there's really not a whole lot you can do about it. The good news is that they'll bounce back. You can give them a rest period where you take them out of the tank and bury them in some wet dirt, throw it in the closet for a couple months and then throw it back in your tank - generally that makes them bounce back. Alternatively you can just leave the bulb in the tank but I've found this takes longer and sometimes the bulb rots. Play around with it and see what works for your setup and your species. Simulated a "dry season" is probably the best thing you can do to make them rest and eventually come back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts