The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have some CRS coming in, hopefully early next week or maybe the week after.

I saw a drip line in this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/39301-ordered-some-low-grade-crs-last-3.html

How do I setup a drip line like he did?

Also, this may sound a bit stupid, but I've never poured shrimp or any fish into another container like shown. Do I just hold two corners of the bag (one on open end, other on same side, but not open end) and pour them into it? Should I place some water for them so they aren't in a very small amount of water in the new container?

Any recommendations on how to do this are appreciated!

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's just regular air tubing. I find it best to use the silicone one, but you can use whatever you have on hand. All you have to do is get a piece long enough that will sit in your tank to your bucket that has your new shrimp. Make an intial knot in it; I find making it closer to the bucket is easiest. Start the suction on it (you know, suck the one end going to the bucket, etc), then tighten the knot until you get a few drips/drops.

I recommend getting those suction cups that can hold the air tubing. Use those on each end so you won't have to worry about the air tubing getting loose and leaking water on your floor.

Make sure your container is not too small or too large because initally you have only the water that came with your shrimp to work with. I just cut the top off, then pour them in.

·
Registered
845 Posts
"Should I place some water for them so they aren't in a very small amount of water in the new container?"

No! That defeats the whole concept of the slow drip acclimation process. If you are only getting one bag, I suggest the use of a "bucket" the size of a large butter container. I wouldn't do smaller, just for safety reasons (spilling of water). Those one gallon ice cream containers, a nice size sand bucket (you know the ones kids use to build sandcastles), etc... are also a nice size. Just make sure they are CLEAN! No soap residue! Use vinegar to clean them and rinse REALLY well.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
IME, I just dump shrimp right in the tank without acclimation. Of course this was done with Amano shrimp and Cherry shrimp. The more hardy shrimp. I put Amanos and cherries of water with a ph of 7.8 and dumped them into a tank with a ph of 6.4-6.2 range. No deaths, no signs of stress.

You could stretch your luck and dump them straight in. Dunno about CRS.

·
Registered
845 Posts
How long to drip acclimate: IMO one hour would be the minimum. 2 to 3 hours is best. Just keep your eyes on them and make sure none of your animals, including kids mess with the process. LOL

When the procedure is done, just net them out and into the tank. Some would just pour the whole bucket in, but I find this unnecessary and I eliminate the introduction of the polluted water source (the shrimp have been doing their 'business' in that bag LOL).

This procedure is not only for shrimp, but you should do this with your fish too. But I recommend a quarantine tank for fish first.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
IME, I just dump shrimp right in the tank without acclimation. Of course this was done with Amano shrimp and Cherry shrimp. The more hardy shrimp. I put Amanos and cherries of water with a ph of 7.8 and dumped them into a tank with a ph of 6.4-6.2 range. No deaths, no signs of stress.

You could stretch your luck and dump them straight in. Dunno about CRS.
LOL That's brave of you! :tongue:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Another easier method would be to place the bag in your tank to let the temp equalize, then cut some slits in the bag to let some of the tank water make its way into the bag, then cut open the bag to let them out. I've done this method too, but I recommend the drip acclimation method. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll second what Colormeblue said about keeping an eye on the process. I walked away for a few seconds, and when I returned 2 of our cats were circling the bucket to find out what was going on. They've now learned that a bucket and airline tubing means a new resident for the tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thank you *very* much Color Me Blue!

What you've said makes sense and so I'll keep a few different small buckets on hand for this process.

I think I'll follow the 1 hour acclimation timeline when doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I just let the bag sit in the tank for 45min and slowly add water from the tank into the bag, and when its ready just pour them in. I've done this many times without deaths.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just wanted to add that if your shrimp or fish come in a Kordon Breather Bag you are not suppose to let them float in your tank.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Rather than tying a knot I just put in an airline valve that I adjust until I'm only getting about a drop per second. Much easier than adjusting a knot and that flow rate in my bucket gives me about two hours for acclimation.

Brian

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If the person you got the shrimp from has close to the same water parameters, especially pH as yours, then letting the bag float and adding some water from your tank slowly, over a period of time, should be fine. Otherwise, if you are unsure, a slower, drip acclimation would probably be best.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm getting them from kangshiang in California, I'm here in Indiana. Just to be safe, I think I will use a drip acclimation. For the price of CRS, I can't really risk anything!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Put the bag inside of the tank where you intend to have those CRS for about 15 minutes and they should be fine after that. The thing to watch out is in the very initial stage whether they act weird or not. You are getting from a quality source of CRS, I've just received mine yesterday. Regards, jC.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Another easier method would be to place the bag in your tank to let the temp equalize, then cut some slits in the bag to let some of the tank water make its way into the bag, then cut open the bag to let them out. I've done this method too, but I recommend the drip acclimation method. :)

That's somewhat risky. You're letting H2O from the LFS into your tank. I float the bag and take a small Dixie cup of water from my tank and pour it in every 15 minutes. After the first cup, I take 1 cup out of the bag and dump it first to keep the bag at the same level. Finally I pour the bag through a net into a bucket. then I net the newbies into the tank.

Tommy

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's easier to use the drip acclimation method.

Yes it's risky (bag in tank), but like I said, I recommend doing the drip-bucket acclimation. It's up to the aquarist what he/she wants to do.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It's easier to use the drip acclimation method.

Yes it's risky (bag in tank), but like I said, I recommend doing the drip-bucket acclimation. It's up to the aquarist what he/she wants to do.
Hey sorry I didn't get back to this thread... I was a bit out of it and very busy today...

I would ONLY use drip acclimation on CRS. Don't risk a thing! No offense to anyone, but untill you have had CRS don't comment here because they're 100000% more sensitive. Do the drip acclimation, it's easy and gentle on the shrimp. I did much more than one Drip per minuet though there was a very weak steady flow for mine. All CRS have done great (except for 3 unexplained deaths yesterday) and there is a berried female.

Just be carefull when getting them out of the bag since they can get stuck:icon_mad: and it's VERY annoying for the shrimp and human.

Also when doing this give them a little something to sit on (moss) or something else so they aren't just floating around the containor (mine was a cottage cheese containor since we have a ton of them around the house and they're a great size.

Congrats on becoming a CRS owner! (aka getting owned by an invert:proud: it's really the other way around:icon_lol: )

Any more questions just ask;)

-Andrew

·
Banned
418 Posts
Put the bag inside of the tank where you intend to have those CRS for about 15 minutes and they should be fine after that. The thing to watch out is in the very initial stage whether they act weird or not. You are getting from a quality source of CRS, I've just received mine yesterday. Regards, jC.
That's exactly what I did. However since kangshiang is only about 20 min from me I don't think the water temp was that much different. Only a few weeks later and one of the females already has eggs!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts