The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original idea is to have a nice background of Rotala H'ra Vietnam and Reineckii, but I'm worried about the flow and circulation. The heavy planting basically absorbs all the flow on the right side, and the Rotala on the left is not making any movement at all. I was thinking to add a wavemaker on the right side (2.5W) but it'd would be better to avoid it. Any ideas I should explore?

It's a 60p tank with an Oase BioMaster 250.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The plants on the left seem to be healthy, so I think it would not be necessary. I would also say that plants swaying is not necessary and you will find great examples of tanks were the plants are mostly still. If you want to increase flow anyway, I think that if you move the inlet pipe near the rear (hiding it in the Rotala bush), you could force more water to pass through that region without additional pumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the Rotalas started to have algae, and since my water params seem to be fine, the flow is my only suspect now. I was thinking to move behind also, but eventually the plants will grow over it and it'd also force to grow in another direction, which I don't really want. My other concern is CO2 distribution, it doesn't seems like much is moving around that area.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Are you asking about increasing flow or current/water circulation? These are two very different things. I think with the Oase 250 flow should be more than adequate for your 60p. I have a fluval 307 which I really like and has similar flow in my 60p tank of around 205+ gGH. What kind of algae are you getting on your rotalas? This isn’t necessarily a sign of poor flow, but depends on the algae. Usually it can be a cyanobacteria issue that pops up in dead zones or maybe you have high amounts of organic waste in a section, but that is easily siphoned out. You can get GDA, GSA, Staghorn, BBA and other algae in area of intense flow and current. I’d look to your lights and co2 first. I’m just going off your photo here...but if you are using your drop checker for measuring co2 it is telling you that it is low. Now there are many more efficient and more accurate ways to measure co2 but it’ll give you a rough idea where you are at And yours says low co2. How long have these plants been planted in the tank? Did you dry start the carpet and add the rotalas and Anubias later? What’s the light you have over it and what’s your photo period/dosing schedule like?

I have minimal current passing through the back of my tank where my H’RAs are and they are doing great. This happens especially when you plant them in thicker bunches than what you have in your tank. If you have thick bushes of rotala, they are not going to be “Swaying In the current.” But they don’t need to be either as they are extremely efficient and fast growing weeds. How long has your tank been setup for? Flow is important, and you have a good amount already in the tank, but your algae is telling you that it is something else. Most likely a lighting and co2 issue in this case if you are dosing your ferts accordingly and not limiting ferts. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my idea was increasing circulation would increase flow also. I see why this is confusing.

I've attached a shot of the Rotalas from above. You can se the algae is spreading on the Anubias as well.

• The dropchecker is usually between blue/green in transition. I shoot this image in the morning after a water change, that's why it was so blue. I'm doing 1 bubble / second.
  • The tank is 1.5 month old, but the plants are coming from another tank where they are fine.
  • It wasn't a dry start.
  • The light is a Twinstar LED Light III 600CE
  • Schedule (dimmer setup):
    • 8:00: 0%
    • 8:30: 70%
    • 10:30: 70%
    • 11:00: 1%
    • 17:00: 1%
    • 17:30: 70%
    • 21:30: 70%
    • 22:00: 0%
  • I'm using Easy Life products:
    • Nitro: 7.5ml / day (~5-10ppm)
    • Kalium-Potassium: 3ml / day (~6 ppm)
    • Fosfo: 1.5ml / day (0.02 - 0.05 ppm)
    • Profito 1ml / every 2 days (universal)
Thanks for the detailed answer.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Ok cool. Yeah, I’d say you need to increase your CO2. If your drop checker is consistently blue/green than you don’t have enough. 1bps is not a lot at all. (bps isn’t the best way to measure co2, but at least it give you an idea of what’s coming out of the cylinder). I have around 5 bps in my 60p...sometimes more, but I also have a surface skimmer with the filter on full blast. I have a Chihiros wrgb2 over my tank and run it pretty much at 50%. The GSA on the Anubias is from too much light. That is a a slow growing plants so if you try to push it’s growth with high light you will have algae problems creep up. You can play with ferts all you want, but if you are dosing ferts daily it doesn’t mean the algae goes away. When I see GSA on my plants I usually add a little more P and decrease the light output.

Why are you running two lighting periods? Sometimes you see this in tanks that are low light and the light comes on for a short period and then turns off and in that time co2 levels increase for the second ramp of lights. In your case why not do a 6-7 hour peak photo period and turn your lights down and increase the co2? Have the co2 come on an hour or two hours before lighting peak. But with 70% power on your twinstar and low co2 your plants will struggle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good flow is important to evenly distribute CO2 and nutrients. Circulation pump comes in all size and get one with magnetic attachment so you can place it anywhere to optimize circulation. I paced one on the left side of my 75g to generate cross longitudinal flow to augment front and back flow from my HOBs.

Your Rotala H'ra Vietnam has vivid color but looks delicate and cannot take strong flow. I recommend placing a mini circulation pump adjacent to the CO2 diffuser on the right front side.

I just bought a “Rotala Vietnam“ that looks nothing like yours and wonder if it is the same plant. Mine is emerged grown from nursery with sturdy, green oval leaves. Just wonder if yours looked like mine before transformation.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts