The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the planted tank forum and I just started growing a dwarf hairgrass in my new 10 gallon aquarium and a friend of mine explained to me how to grow this but I'm still a bit confused on how to do it, so I was hoping if someone here on the forum could guide me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it! i currently have the grass planted in eco-complete with a 5500k light bulb shining over the grass, I've had it like this about a week and two days.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, the light I am using is 5500k,57 watts, is that low light or high light? Because if it is high light I should grow it submerged with c02, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here's how I planted it
1. Filled up tank w substrate, then filled with water to just get the substrate wet
2. Separated the grass into tiny sections about 1/5 of an inch
3. Plant them around the tank, usually 1inch apart, but if you don't have enough just spread it out evenly.
4. Filled the tank carefully so I didn't disturb the substrate
5. Wait a few weeks and watch for runners. Then trim the grass down to 1/2 inch to promote growth

·
Registered
352 Posts
I Have an eheim 2213 but it's a little pricey, if you're on a budget and new to the hobby I'd use aquaclear people here seems to love it. When you use a hob filter fill the water up so that the filter doesn't make any splashes. That will minimize the loss of co2.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Just get a HOB for a 10g. You have more than enough light for 10g. BTW, DHG does not need a whole lot of light to do a carpet. I had a 6' tank entirely carpeted with it not so long ago with minimal light. About 160w worth of cfl on it (100g tank).

If you start emersed, they will spread faster. With submerged growth, let them settle down for a couple of weeks and then give them a trim. That way they will spread runners fasters. Good CO2 is a must.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.