The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay ... so i keep seeing things like grade this or that when discussing the quality of a specimen.

Soooo someone fill me in on this grading system!

I can't be the only one that wants that explained in detail! :smile:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

I tend to not google such things because that usually just leads you down a thousand different roads and gives you nothing really concrete. Whereas members on forums tend to usually know of places where GOOD information is gathered (like in an article or on a site) that has been found by multiple people to be reliable ... which I always find a little more credible, if that makes sense.

A search on here pulled up LOTS of posts that merely talked about the grade of what they were referring to - not really explaining the difference or what makes someone one grade and what makes something a different grade.

I always do a search in a forum before asking a question - because often that has been answered in the forum already. Sometimes you just can't get the searches filtered where you eliminate the stuff you aren't actually looking for, so asking is going to do one more good.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Crystal shrimp are mainly the only shrimp that have "grades".
Now there are high/low grades for cherry/chocolate shrimp but that's about it. And those are either low or high, regular cherry = low, painted/taiwan fire reds(SOLID coloring) are high grade, there is no in-between. Is there a particular shrimp you want info about?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really - just trying to learn a little more about them - so that when I finally nail down the species I'd like to get that I can pick the best ones if I find a local source, and started hearing the various grades mentioned here and there and then wasn't successful at finding anything here in the way of explaining the differences (though maybe I missed it?).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This link is probably the best explanation of CRS grading that I have seen so far. I like the explanations and the fact that the photos take out a lot of the guesswork in deciding what grade your shrimps are and what the grades you are buying should look like. One problem that I have had with shrimp grades previously is that they were so subjective, and this particular guide sets clear standards which I think will help make grading consistent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.