The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've got a fat piece of driftwood that has been in my 30g for about 4 years now. The tank is going to be converted into something else so the driftwood will be on stand by for a while. My question is: How do I clean it to make it look like new again during a leave of absence?

Currently it has some BBA on it.

Bleach soak? H2O2? Nothing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
In a situation where the wood has been in a tank, we can assume it is not holding anything harmful other than some algae. Then some depends on how much algae and how "clean" you want it. How to proceed will take some judgement. If it has a thick layer and you simply kill it, that leaves the wood polluted with a lot of dead algae which requires scraping, power washing, etc. to remove.
For a light coat of algae, I would put the wood in some container to soak so that I don't have to deal with floating when I reuse it. I would then store the wood wet and add a tablespoon of bleach once a week or so. Indoors is preferred to avoid mosquitoes if you happen to miss a bleach dosing. I find in soaking wood that if I miss a week of dosing, the chlorine gasses off and I get mosquito larva.
If it needs to be stored for more like a month, it may be better to clean it and let it dry to avoid the hassle of adding bleach.

The devil is in the details on this. How much to clean, how long and where to store are all some things to sort through.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The wood will be stored outside of aquarium use for an undetermined period of time. It has medium amounts of just BBA.

So perhaps a bleach treatment with scrubbing and rinsing would be best? Then let it dry and put it aside?
This would be what I would consider. The things I think about as something I don't want are mold or fungus if the wood is stored damp so I dry it and as a second is that when it totally dries, it takes longer to totally soak again but that is not something that I would want to try to maintain it wet for more than a few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.